Qualified Mobile HGV Technician
c£13.50 per hour DOE
+ extra pay for call outs + 'on call’ payments + company van
(c£35-37K per annum)
Monday to Friday 7:30 am to 5:00 pm (42.5 hr week)
We are recruiting on behalf of a client based in Tonbridge in Kent. The company has been established for over 40 years and is a leading competitor in its industry. The company sells new and used commercial vehicles from all six of their depots across the UK; they also offer other services such as servicing and breakdown cover.
This is a great opportunity for a qualified HGV Technician to join a modern and forward thinking company. You will ideally come from a stable, main-dealer background and you must have knowledge of modern diagnostic systems.
We are looking for a team player to fill this role who will be flexible and able to work to tight deadlines. You must have previous HGV technical experience and be qualified to level three (NVQ/City & Guilds) in HGV Mechanics (or equivalent) and be able to adopt a hands-on approach to all aspects of the role to ensure continued high-levels of work are carried out right, first time.
The job will be mostly mobile attending breakdowns or scheduled servicing/maintenance visits at clients’ sites within a 50 miles radius of the company depot (occasionally further afield within 100 miles radius & this would be to carry out roadside diagnosis and either repair there or arrange recovery back to the workshop to ensure the company is meeting their manufactures KPI’s.
You will be instructed by the office of what jobs you’ll be out working on but you will need to be able to prioritise your own work and communicate this with the customers as well as others in the office.
The Main Duties Include:
- Carrying out inspection, servicing, repairs and testing of vehicles in a professional and safe manner at customers’ sites using a company van
- Attending roadside breakdowns
- Investigate and diagnose faults
- Report findings
- Carry out all repairs to the current manufacturers standards
- Planning work, managing diagnostics
- Carry out all repairs to the highest standards and with the most effective use of time
- You will share the 'out of hours’ standby with the other Technician 'week on week off’ this is Monday to Monday - typically call-outs vary and you’re unlikely to get many, or any during the night, however you do have to be prepared to at least take a phone call to book the vehicle in for attention the following morning (phone calls are also shared with the Manager so are very infrequent). Typical call outs are before 10 pm and may average out at 10 per month.
- You are paid £140 each week you’re on call for being 'on stand-by’ which equates to £3,640.00 per annum
- You will be paid £15 for each call-out that you attend that is out of standard hours c(£1,800 per annum)
- You will be paid time and a half for any hours worked out of the standard hours (shown above) c£20.25 per hour
- You will be given use of a 3.5 tonne Iveco Van which is fully equipped to enable you to do roadside repairs, this is for your use with your daily duties and to get you to and from work - this is a tax free vehicle.
- 20 days holiday per annum + statutory bank holidays
- 30-60 mins unpaid break available per day
- Contributory pension after 3 months probation
- Additional overtime is available on an ad.hoc basis to further boost earnings
- Annual pay reviews throughout the company based on performance