Highways England are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased, this has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done. Considering that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which is why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: www.highwaysengland.co.uk
Highways England are currently recruiting for 2 Project Managers within the Strategy and Planning Directorate to be based in Guildford on a permanent basis. These project management posts will contribute to the strategy, planning and delivery of significant programmes and projects of work which includes the potential development of next generation service delivery models and solutions. This is a high profile and forward looking position with wide-ranging Government, stakeholder and customer interfaces and for the successful candidate, this is a role that will enhance your career prospects in project management.
Please Note - Regular travel will be expected as part of this role (2-3 days/week).
Day to day
- Plan and define project steps, scope project risks and issues, establish plans, reviews milestones and priorities.
- Develop, update, monitor and report against detailed project plans identifying resource requirements and interdependencies.
- Assess safety performance to minimise risks, develop improvements and escalate issues with relevant authorities in a timely manner and carry out any tasks identified
- Develop a business or value management case for new projects.
- Provide quality analysis and progress reporting to the Senior Responsible Owner, Project Board and other senior stakeholders.
You will have knowledge, experience and skills in:
- Significant experience of delivering multifaceted complex projects in a fast paced environment, monitoring own and team's work against milestones or targets, to maintain performance (ideally with an appropriate project management qualification).
- Experience of engaging, collaborating and communicating effectively with colleagues and staff at all levels and with different technical understanding to achieve a common goal and progress on objectives.
- Proven experience of successfully leading a diverse team, with the ability to identify and address team or individual capability requirements and gaps to deliver current and future work.
- Strong analytical skills to gather and use evidence to assess costs, benefits and risks of a wide range of delivery options when making business or commercial decisions
- Exceptional presentation and communication skills to convey complex information to a wide audience and clarify understanding of stakeholder expectations, to determine options and inform effective decision making.
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application. You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
For further information in relation to this role please review the Project Manager job profile.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
All candidates will be required to provide proof of Right to Work in the UK at interview stage.
Help keep England moving. We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/
- Project Manager