Project Manager - 1 Year Fixed Term Contract
We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
Please note this is a 12 month Fixed term contract.
You will be responsible for managing the delivery of a variety of construction projects to ensure the achievement of project objectives within agreed time, quality and cost thresholds which form part of a wider Programme of projects in excess of £75million per year. You will also be required to ensure that effective governance, quality assurance, health and safety, technical and specialist standards within Highways England and across the supply chain is maintained.
Day to Day:
- Oversee the development of detailed design and delivery of capital investment schemes, with a typical value of up to, and occasionally in excess of, £10million, within given parameters for quality, cost and time ensuring that they meet intended outcomes, customer service levels, quality and health and safety.
- Monitor day-to-day project activities including contract compliance, risk management, Health and Safety, financial management and reporting, document control, assurance and governance to ensure adherence to Highways England standards.
- Commission and manage the performance of delivery partners and expert consultancy support as appropriate, ensuring that project objectives and requirements are clearly understood and clear expectations for health and safety management, time and cost are set. Support compliance with relevant health and safety and CDM Regulations ensuring design and construction partners fulfil their duties on schemes.
- Develop and establish project plans, using an appropriate project management methodology, working with colleagues to ensure that schedules and project controls are effectively developed.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with key stakeholders and supply chain, ensuring regular checkpoints take place to build trust, update on progress and address any concerns.
- Establish and deliver scheme specific communication plans, proactively managing customers' perception of schemes in scope, to maintain and improve customer satisfaction. Respond to correspondence and other scheme related matters when required.
- Manage the deployment of project resources including finance, staff and third parties; proactively managing project costs, providing forecasts and presenting variances with narrative at appropriate review points.
- Identify and evaluate efficiencies, risks, issues, dependencies and constraints associated with the project, escalating where appropriate and develop, agree and implement solutions to overcome these.
- Proven programme or project management experience. A recognised project management qualification is desirable.
- Degree level qualification in Civil or Construction Engineering or relevant demonstrable experience.
- Experience in a construction environment with knowledge and experience in one or more of the following specialisms; Highways Construction and Maintenance, Structures Construction and Maintenance, Drainage Construction and Maintenance, Third Party agreements such as Section 278/Section 6 agreements, Traffic Technology and Lighting.
- Up to date knowledge of CDM and health and safety regulations.
- Supplier and contract management with working knowledge of the New Engineering Contract.
- Valid UK Driving Licence.
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible.
Help keep England moving.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job