My Client design and manufacture engine, power train, vehicle and component test systemsat their facility in Malvern. The company was founded in 1983 and is undergoing a period of growth and change. Their core product comprises Windows 7 based software and a dedicated rack based I/O system. The software is written, maintained and supported by engineers in Malvern. The electronic hardware is designed and produced in Malvern.
Using this core product our client supplies systems ranging from a new control and data logging system for an existing test cell through to a new turn key test cell complete with dynamometer, engine cooling systems and cell ventilation systems.
The Company,s customers include many automotive manufacturers (and first tier suppliers) and off highway vehicle manufacturers. Currently approximately 50% of our turnover is in the U.K. the balance is in China, Malaysia, Australia, USA and India, with a small amount in mainland Europe.
Typically the project engineer receives a file from the sales department on receipt of an order and carries out the following functions:
- Detail specification of the system in consultation with the customers engineers e.g. type of sensors, mechanical arrangement, timescales etc. This requires knowledge of thermocouples, pressure transducers, PRTs, instrumentation level signals, analogue to digital conversion, relay logic, possibly small PLCs, single phase ac power distribution, heat exchangers and heat transfer, fans, pumps, valves etc.
- The generation of project bills of materials within the Caliach MRP system. Training on Caliach would be provided. This requires knowledge of the company’s products and suppliers.
- The preparation of system electrical / instrumentation drawings using Autocad /Draftsight
- Identify any capital or contract specific equipment required and instruct Operations Department for procurement
- The management and technical support of the build phase at Malvern.
- The management and technical support of the test, inspection and dispatch phases of the contract.
- The preparation of electrical installation drawings and generation of an installation bill of material.
- The management and technical support of the installation phase.
- Technical management of the project until handover to the customer.
- The preparation of system manuals.
- Some UK and overseas travel will be required as part of the role.
Experience / Qualifications/ Skills
- From the above it will be apparent that the project engineer requires skills in electrical, electronic and mechanical engineering. Experience suggests that a degree in electrical/electronic engineering is the most appropriate qualification.
- Design software experience essential, preferably Autocad /Draftsight.
- IT literate, word, excel
- Electronic Hardware
- Heat Exchangers
- Power Distribution