Job reference number 80993
Mount Pleasant Mail Centre
Not many companies can say they’ve been around for 500 years and were founded by Henry VIII, but we can. Royal Mail is the UK’s designated Universal Postal Service Provider, supporting customers, businesses and communities around the country. We are the only postal company to provide a one-price-goes-anywhere, six days a week service to more than 29 million addresses across the UK.
The future of the Royal Mail Group has never looked stronger. We’re a FTSE 250 company, working alongside UK Parcels and International & Letters (UKPIL) and last financial year, 2015-16, we generated revenue of £9,251m. On top of this, a recent extensive review has led to a complete business transformation, which was the largest award winning IT transformation programme across Europe and the biggest in UK history. With this transformation now complete, the potential for growth and success has never been greater.
Digital is now at the heart of our business and drives our vision of enabling smarter working and at the same time, delivering innovative products and services through a world class customer experience. The Event Processing System (EPS) platform, built using TIBCO technologies, is central to this, which delivers on Royal Mail’s core parcel’s strategy that spans domestic and international deliveries. It will also play a key role in Royal Mail’s operational pipeline as it grows its remit over the next 12-24 months.
This new role brings together project and supplier teams to deliver the end-to-end EPS solution that will support the strategic objectives. The individual will be responsible for managing project plans, budgets and risks on a number of simultaneous activities which are being delivered in either a waterfall or agile manner. Inevitably this is a demanding technical role in both breadth and depth, so requires an individual who thrives on working at pace, dealing with complexity, and can solve problems quickly with all stakeholders.
Reports to: EPS Platform Owner
- Identify, plan and coordinate the set of projects within a programme of business change to deliver defined outcomes and related business benefits for the EPS Platform work
- Manage the approach to sourcing the programme and the interdependencies of delivery of those projects in support of specific business strategies for the EPS Platform
- Act as a point of escalation for individual projects who are dependent on the EPS Platform
- Accountable for delivery of RM IS initiatives (technology, processes, people) as assigned by the Platform Owner
- Accountable for planning and monitoring the portfolio of projects on the Platform; agree plans with key stakeholders and submit regular Highlight Reports via Project Assurance indicating any deviations and corrective action taken
- Accountable for managing risks, issues, and change, escalating & proposing possible solutions where necessary
- Contributes towards the recruiting Platform staff and consultants as approved by the Platform Owner.
- Direct and motivate the Platform team - ensure all team members understand their roles; ensure project objectives and requirements are understood and met.
- Manage the training needs analysis and devising of technical training for the team
- Responsible for managing third party suppliers (onshore & offshore) to achieve the desired Platform outcomes & agreed deliverables
- Responsible for coordinating activities and dependencies within the Platform and identifying external dependencies on other projects, resource or environments
- Responsible for forming and managing effective relationships with business stakeholders.
- Work with the Business, End Users and Product Owners to define the platform roadmap and backlog
- Work with Demand, Release and Project teams to prioritise backlog items onto the platform
- Own the delivery of Platform(s) backlog items through the factory design, build, test and release processes
- Adopt and optimise Factory Model way of working and where appropriate agile and DevOps methodologies and techniques
- Ensure deliveries into test and prod adhere to RMG standards and quality (e.g. RFCs, cut down ORR, Gating)
- Matrix manage onshore, offshore and supplier development teams
- Project Management accreditation (Prince2 / PMI)
- Stakeholder management – managing difficult stakeholders, & understanding business problems and pain points.
- Line management experience of technical teams of different disciplines, e.g. development, test
- Experience of working on Enterprise scale projects.
- Ability to multiple projects simultaneously
- Can-do and roll sleeves up attitude.
- Proactive and self-managing disciplines.
Highly desirable requirements:
- Experience of both Waterfall and Agile (scrum) delivery methodologies.
- TIBCO software experience
- Knowledge of hosting infrastructure models, e.g. Cloud
- Experience of supplier procurement & contract negotiation
- Technical IT background – not necessarily development/programming but the ability to understand technical concepts and communicate fluently with solution architecture and developers.
- Logistical or postal experience
We are an inclusive employer with equality, diversity and fairness at the heart of our values. We welcome applications from individuals from all different backgrounds and are committed to promoting fair participation and equality of opportunity for all of our job applicants.
Closing Date: 22/02/2018
System Administrator, Manager, Procurement, Cloud, Solution Architect, Technology, Management, Operations