Job reference number 82984
Rowland Hill House Chesterfield
Not many companies can say they’ve been around for 500 years and were founded by Henry VIII, but we can. Royal Mail is the UK’s designated Universal Postal Service Provider, supporting customers, businesses and communities around the country. We are the only postal company to provide a one-price-goes-anywhere, six days a week service to more than 29 million addresses across the UK.
It is an exciting time to join Royal Mail. As one of the UK's leading companies, we generated revenue of £9,776m in 2016-17. On top of this, we have recently undertaken an extensive review and transformation of the Technology function, one of the largest IT transformation programmes across the UK. With this transformation now complete, there is significant potential for growth and success.
Digital is now at the heart of our business and drives our vision of enabling smarter working - from Front Line colleagues through to Head Office. At the same time we strive to deliver innovative products and services through a world class customer experience.
Has end to end accountability for project & programme delivery. Managing the project delivery process, ensuring that selected suppliers deliver; acquiring & utilising the necessary resources & skills, within agreed parameters of cost, timescales and quality. Managing project managers to ensure overall programme delivery.
- Identify, plan and coordinate the set of projects within a programme of business change to deliver defined outcomes and related business benefits
- Manage the approach to sourcing the programme and the interdependencies of delivery of those projects in support of specific business strategies
- Provide a point of escalation for individual projects within the programme
- Accountable for delivery of RM IS initiatives (technology, processes, people) as assigned by the Solutions Delivery Director
- Accountable for planning and monitoring the portfolio of projects; agree plans with the Executive Project Board and submit regular Highlight Reports via Project Assurance indicating any deviations and corrective action taken
- Accountable for managing risks, issues, and change, escalating & proposing possible solutions where necessary
- Accountable for recruiting project staff and consultants as approved by the Project Board. Direct and motivate the project team - ensure all team members understand their roles; ensure project objectives and requirements are understood and met. Manage project training - training needs analysis and devising of user training programmes
- Full financial responsibility for IS spend, including establishing budgets, monitoring spend and re-forecasting on a regular basis to highlight any potential issues.
- Responsible for managing third party suppliers to achieve the desired programme outcomes
- Responsible for coordinating activities and dependencies within the programme and identifying external dependencies on other projects, resource or environments
- Responsible for forming and managing effective relationships with business stakeholders.
Reports to: Programme Director
Operates within agreed cost/time/quality parameters. Has sufficient credibility and gravitas, and ability to work with and relate to a highly demanding internal client base and complex external supplier base. Appreciation of how the architecture, policies and governance are applied to delivery of the programme.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering a portfolio of full life cycle large technology integration projects from concept through to operational us
- Excellent stakeholder management skills with significant experience of dealing with internal, external and third party supplier senior level decision makers
- Strong technical awareness to manage programmes with a high degree of technology content
- Proven experience of directing & motivating project teams
- Experience of a recognised project and programme management methodology, e.g. Prince 2.
We are an inclusive employer with equality, diversity and fairness at the heart of our values. We welcome applications from individuals from all different backgrounds and are committed to promoting fair participation and equality of opportunity for all of our job applicants.
Closing Date: 22/02/2018