You have the chance to join an established FMCG company that are committed to advancing their operational efficiency. As the Production Manager of their Birmingham based facility, you will be given the opportunity to really impact this site and drive sustainable improvement.
This leading manufacturer develop an array of specialist products and are looking to do so in the most effective and efficient way. As a result of growth and in the interest of further development, they are in need of a Production Manager to lead the team into the next phase of their journey. You have the chance to be instrumental in driving best practice through improving their manufacturing processes.
As the Production Manager, you will be working closely with other departments in order to drive continuous improvement in operational safety, quality, speed, dependability, flexibility & cost of production. This is a front line management role requiring a high percentage of time spent on the factory floor leading and motivating the production team; planning and controlling the daily activities of the team.
- Work closely with production planning and procurement to generate the production plan.
- Plan and control available labour resources to achieve the production plan.
- Make recommendations/requests to the operations manager for changes up or down in: temporary labour and over-time to meet short term variation in demand; full time employees for long term changes/trends in demand or production efficiency.
- Undertaking recruitment and/or training of staff to develop required skills.
- Providing leadership to the production team and motivating staff to achieve production goals.
- Measure the performance of production operatives and ensure that everyone is performing adequately in their role.
- Continuously analyse the design and organisation of production processes to identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure key performance indicators are in place for quality, throughput time, OTIF & cost. Regularly and actively communicate KPI performance to production operatives.
- Set KPI targets that challenge the production team to think differently about the work that they do. Engage all production employees in continuous improvement activities within their work area.
- Ensure 5S principles are embedded in daily standard practices. Complete 5S audits of the production areas with the involvement of production operatives. Set targets and drive continuous improvement.
- Ensure that communication between departments is ongoing and utilised to maintain an environment of continuous improvement.
- Acting as a liaison to senior management to keep them up to date with shop floor matters.
- Provide a monthly report containing production KPIs, accomplishments, challenges (including explanation for deviations from KPI targets), head count, over-time, holiday and sickness.
- Participate in annual risk assessments of operational areas with EHS department.
- Monitor the amount of used packaging returned from customers and organise the removal by suitably licensed waste management companies.
- Participate in audits of contracted waste management companies.
A Production Manager with FMCG manufacturing experience (ideally batch manufacturing or mixing) and the following:
- Preferably a Degree qualification in a chemical discipline (Chemist or Chemical Engineer), although not essential
- Previous experience in a Production Management/Supervisory role with strong leadership skills
- Proven experience of 5S, Lean and Six Sigma Continuous Improvement techniques
- A passion for Quality, Environment, Health & Safety performance
- Preferably hold an IOSH Managing Safely or NEBOSH General Certificate
- WAMITAB level 4 Transfer of Haz Waste / Certificate of Technical Competence (the business could support with attaining this)
Circa £40,000 - £44,000 + Bonus + Additional Benefits
- Continuous Improvement
- Production Manager