We are proudly representing our public sector client based in Darlington for their search for a Procurement Officer. They now have an immediate requirement to recruit for a temporary assignment to start as soon as possible till June 2018.
- To help with implementation of the Corporate Procurement Strategy and Code of Practice and supporting documentation.
- Move forward complex, high value corporate procurement projects and deal with issues that arise.
- Carry out procurement in a legal, ethical and accountable manner in line with all current legislation
- Assist in implementing, monitoring and reviewing the corporate procurement code of practice, procurement procedures and supporting standard documentation to enhance the effective management of procurement activities in line with best practice, Client policies, financial regulations, the constitution, and EU regulations.
- Assist with the receipt and numbering of tenders and to take responsibility of their safe custody and opening.
- Review purchasing arrangements and lead on a work programme of contract aggregation to provide economies of scale and lower unit costs to achieve targeted savings.
- Carry out regular spend analysis to create and maintain a corporate contract log and plan for departmental and corporate contracts; recommend opportunities for new contracts that can deliver savings and efficiencies to the authority.
- Employ the Client’s Project Management methodology to manage major procurement exercises from feasibility studies, through the production of documentation, tendering and negotiation to award of contract incorporating a contract management user guide.
- Develop procurement within the Client as a tool for delivering service improvement; this will include providing specific advice on service reviews.
- Assist with the development and implementation of e-procurement across the authority and ensure the efficiencies are captured; including but not limited to e-tendering, e-contract management, e-invoicing and procurement cards.
- Promote effective use of available sub-regional, regional and national framework agreements to ensure optimum value for money for the authority.
- Keep under review, research and advise on best practice, procedural and legal issues (including the impact of new legislation and reported legal cases) so far as it relates to the job purpose.
- Ensure quality advice is given to officers and members that reflect the client’s contract procedure rules and current EU legislation.
- Carry out contract management and reporting on contracts managed by the Procurement Service.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with key clients and stakeholders and to provide assistance to officers with purchasing in accordance with the clients constitution.
- Attend such meetings, with officers, members, clients, stakeholders, or other persons as may be required.
- Attend at relevant committees or sub committees consistent with the duties of the post.
- Review draft reports that are referred, considering legal, policy, procedural and constitutional implications and to comment on and advise clients.
- Write reports or make amendments to reports as may be necessary.
- Undertake research as required from time to time.
- Devise and deliver appropriate training seminars and courses for staff, members, clients and others.
- Ensure that all matters within your care and conduct are properly and expeditiously progressed in accordance with best practice.
- Ensure that you follow relevant policies, office procedures, quality and practice management standards.
- Carry out your duties with full regard to the Client’s Equality Policies
- Behave according to the Employees’ Code of Conduct and ensure that employees in your team are aware of their obligations and responsibilities re. conflicts of interest, gifts, hospitality and other matters covered by the Code.
- Comply with Health and Safety policies, organisations statements and procedures report any incidents/accidents/hazards and take pro-active approach to health and safety matters in order to protect both yourself and others.
- Up to date procurement experience, or Experience of public sector contracting, or Experience of giving legal advice on contracts and drafting contract
- Experience of managing projects from feasibility to implementation.
- Experience of carrying out commercial negotiations
- Experience of following prescribed processes and timetables in a compliant manner
- Experience of implementing, monitoring and reviewing policies and procedures
- Experience of advising and coaching staff to help them understand and follow complex processes and procedures
- Ability to recognise the strategic links between procurement and other Transformation projects.
- Ability to plan and organise own workload with minimum supervision and to strict deadlines.
- Ability to understand complex organisational issues.
- Ability to analyse information from a variety of sources, solve complex problems and think creatively and strategically
- Ability to interpret and present information, including financial information in a logical and systematic manner
- Ability to regularly give advice and guidance, including demonstrating duties, instructing and checking the work of others
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing to a wide range of audiences (including ability to write clear and concise reports & presentations)
- Ability to work to broad policy guidelines and to use discretion and act on own initiative as required
- IT Literate, capable of using MS Word / Excel and office packages
- Ability to influence and inform others
- Self-motivated and pro-active
- Flexible approach to a fast changing working environment
- Ability to carry out the travel requirements of the post