Procurement and Contracts Advisors (IRC244477)
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, Harwell Campus, Oxfordshire
Salary £37,789 -£53,558 (dependent upon qualifications and experience)
Full time or part time considered (min. 22.5 hours per week)
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest science research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science and technology.
STFC holds the Investor in People Gold accreditation and offers a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance including 30 days’ annual leave, flexible working hours, a workplace nursery, exceptional pension scheme, social and sporting activities and societies, a subsidised restaurant and good public transport links.
STFC’s ISIS facility is a leading centre for research in the physical and life sciences. The facility performs cutting edge research into the structure and properties of materials at an atomic and molecular level.
About The Role
We now have two new opportunities for highly skilled and experienced Procurement and Contracts Advisors to join the STFC Commercial Procurement Function, with responsibility specifically for the provision of commercial management and decision making for ISIS.
Almost one quarter of STFC’s procurement spend (£170m per annum) is undertaken specifically for the ISIS facility. This procurement is varied, complex and heavily weighted towards the purchase of highly technical products and services.
A shared service centre, UKSBS, is currently undertaking the day-to-day sourcing and contracting function for the whole of STFC. These new roles are required to provide strategic direction, planning, commercial decision making and contact management support for ISIS and provide a "voice of customer" role interacting with UKSBS.
The role works in a framework of public procurement regulation, STFC financial and commercial policy and the needs of a highly technical end-user group.
You will work with end users and project managers to create plans/pipeline for major procurements, as well as develop procurement strategies for a wide range of technical procurements with the majority being business critical.
Further responsibilities will include:
• providing expert advice and critical decision making for key procurement actions including Single Sourcing Actions, the analysis and negotiation of conditions and the acceptance of contract terms
• providing procurement advice for major procurements at all stages from pre contract through to tender and post-award
• liaising with STFC Head of Procurement and STFC Finance teams on procurement practice and policy
• provision of advice and support to a broad range of technical staff, directing project managers and budget holders on the best procurement routes, contract advice, procurement legislation, policy and process
• negotiating with suppliers on variations to deliverables and the resulting financial changes
• working with stakeholders, including UKSBS strategic procurement group, on the development of procurement process to deliver best value procurement
• enabling the highest quality procurement of highly specialised equipment and services.
Successful applicants will be appointed at either Band E or Band F of STFC’s staffing hierarchy, depending on the strength of your skills, experience and qualifications.
You will hold formal CIPS qualifications and have proven experience in high value procurement within the public sector. You will also have experience in procuring scientific and technical systems and equipment.
To be considered for a senior role you will have experience of complex procurements such as OJEU and Frameworks, the ability to develop and implement procurement plans and strategies and to provide strategic procurement advice.
All candidates should have up to date procurement best practice and legislative knowledge, as well as proven experience in supplier management and negotiation.
With strong interpersonal skills, including good communication skills, you will also have a proven ability to work with others and provide a high level of customer service.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role. Please also state where you saw this role advertised.
Applications are handled by UK SBS. Please note, when you click apply you will be directed through to our TopCareers.jobs website where you will be asked to complete the application process.
The closing date for applications is 25th March 2018, with interviews scheduled for 6th April 2018.
- Public Procurement
- Contact Management