Principal Engineer (National) - £45,000 - £48,000 + Company Car
Clemence Rogers are currently recruiting for a Chief Engineer on behalf of our client a specialist manufacturing business with a turnover of circa £120m with several sites across the UK. The Chief Engineer position is to be based across 3 of those site, 2 in the Midlands and the other in Central Scotland, therefore ideally suited for those based in the Midlands area but open to travel and working away on average 1 week a month.
Key Responsibilities (will include):
- Lead the completion of level 3 preventative maintenance activities and support others in level 2 and reactive maintenance for selected equipment types and across all downstream manufacturing sites
- Mentor Shift Maintenance engineers and Senior Maintenance engineers across selected equipment types. Create and complete equipment skill training.
- Conformance with all site EHS systems and procedures in relation to tasks being undertaken including LOTO and control of contractors.
- Ensure the production machinery operates to optimum efficiency in terms of up-time, technical quality, general performance, safety and cost-effectiveness
- Implement and run a Preventative Maintenance and Corrective Maintenance system.
- Sharing of best practice and Networking with other Chief Engineers across the company's UK sites to maximise effectiveness of the site team at Coventry.
- Understand the impact of role / performance on internal and external customers and treat it as a priority. Lead team in achieving like requirement
- Liaise with the Health, Safety and Environmental Advisor to ensure that all activities undertaken comply with Health, Safety & Environmental Legislation and ensure all relevant paperwork is completed.
- Continually seek ways to improve the effectiveness of maintenance systems and to reduce breakdown duration and frequency.
- Reduce equipment breakdown duration (mean time to repair) and reduce the frequency of breakdowns (mean time between failures).
- Lead the completion of the fault finding to determine the root cause of failures and identify sustaining actions to prevent re-occurrence. Lead the completion of BDA and 5Whys as required.
- Recommend working solutions to production allowing them to meet the goals of daily plan during breakdowns or equipment shortfalls.
- Recommend plant and equipment specifications to meet the goals of the business and meet the HSE rules.
- Recommend and develop improvements to process, service regimes and spares stock holding to reduce costs and improve performance.
- Find innovative ways to overcome technical problems.
- Create a mind-set change within the business that will value good engineering practices, move the business from fix and repair mode into maintain mode
- Previous experience working within a manufacturing environment
- Minimum HND in either mechanical or electrical engineering
- Apprentice trained
- Good level of both electrical and mechanical knowledge/skills.
- Good knowledge of current legislation regarding machinery safety, facilities safety and laws pertaining to engineering, e.g. Loler, WAH, CE marking etc.
- Understanding of a WCM approach to engineering.
- Ability to influence others to enable them to understand the benefits of regular servicing, maintaining basic conditions and planned, preventative maintenance.
- Experience within an industrialised manufacturing environment.
- Have extensive and practical knowledge on selected equipment types
- Good level of literacy and IT skills is essential for the role.
- Be driven by a culture of continuous improvement
- 40 hours per week (days).
- £45,000 - £48,000 per year.
- Company Car
- 10% on the tools.
- Supporting sites in East Midlands, West Midlands and Central Scotland
- Must be flexible to travel and stay away from home if/when required
- No direct reports - dotted lines to site Chief engineers.