As a Principal Power Engineer, you’ll be responsible for the delivery of multiple power projects from concept to production handover. In this high-visibility role, you’ll need good interpersonal, time management and planning skills as you’ll be required to cascade the requirements to a team of engineers. Reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager, you’ll support all programme delivery
- Design and development of Arrow Custom and semi-custom PSUs
- Manage the development of multiple projects
- Manage prototype development using prototype technicians
- Design and test power supplies for EMI compliance
- Produce concise documentation from conception stages to production release
- Champion the engineering to production handover
- Support Production with released design and NPI activities
- Be the key engineer for projects 'know how’ and 'go to’
- Requires in-depth knowledge and experience
- Solves complex problems; takes a new perspective using existing solutions
- Works independently; receives minimal guidance
- Acts as a resource for colleagues with less experience
- Represents the level at which career may stabilize for many years or even until retirement
- Contributes to process improvements
- Typically resolves problems using existing solutions
- Provides informal guidance to junior staff
- Works with minimal guidance
Experience / Education
Typically requires 5-7 years of related experience with a 4 year degree; or 3 years and an advanced degree; or equivalent work experience.
Be key engineer for the power development activities across EMEA
You will work on proposals, project costings, SOWs and documentation
Manage internal and external resources for schematic capture, PCB layout, BOM, component selection, mechanical design, testing and prototypes manufacture.
Ensure new power supplies and systems meet top level design brief + requirements.
The candidate will also take product through to the manufacturing phase and support production with integration process.
Sometimes a 'hands on approach’ is required when supporting the Production Engineers and Test engineering functions
The role also requires knowledge of best practice design for manufacture.
Enthusiasm to continuously learn and to play multiple roles is key for the successful person
The Principal Engineer will be involved with
Design and development of new products - the complete life cycle
With support of team , develop new prototypes and test procedures
- Supporting the approvals process for EMC, Environmental, IEC standards
- Documentation support for CE marking
- Direct NPI work instructions, and test plans for prototypes DVT and production test
- Manage the creation of work instructions for manufacture. Manage into production.
- Ensuring all designs are in accordance with product requirements, they are fit for purpose and conform to safety regulations, EMI, Approvals etc
- Design product test plans, conduct testing and implement improvements
- Working with mechanical engineer for metalwork designs
- Maintain communication with Senior Engineering Manager for all technical issues
- Ability to work unsupervised and use initiative
- Good communicator
- Understand the engineering development process and life cycle of products
- Ability to solder first prototypes changes
- Understand limitations for EMI layout constraints for PSU
- Understand thermal implications within product design
- Good PC skills
- Understand requirements such as regulatory, EMI, environmental
- Educated to degree level or HND with relevant experience.
- Understand EMC / surge protection and safety IEC60950
- DFM principals
- Proven testing and debug skills - can solve development problems
- Must have good understanding of power supplies and their construction.
- Experience working on voltages of 400VDC.
- Able to work with AC mains powered products
- A good understanding of electronics components, board level electronics and experience in the processes, assembly techniques and testing
- Experience of environmental and regulatory approvals testing
- Preferred experience producing schematics Altium / PADs.
- Creating PCB layouts and selecting appropriate electronic components ensuring designed for manufacture and EMI standards
- Ideally , experienced with mechanical design and layout packages