Highways England is the new government owned company responsible for driving forward our motorways and major A roads. This includes; modernising and maintaining the highways, running the network and keeping traffic moving. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased. This has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done.
Certainty of funding and greater flexibility will enable us to become a better business. In our first 5 years alone, we'll invest £11 billion in motorways and A roads - boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently.
Highways England are looking to recruit a Principal Engineer on a permanent basis based at either Aztec West.
The successful Principal Engineer will provide technical expertise in the identification of asset specific needs and early solutions, while assuring adherence to defined asset policies and standards; the role may be required to work unsociable hours.
Day to day
- To manage the identifications and evaluation of highways asset specific needs in order to develop future maintenance and improvement requirements
- To monitor the delivery of the maintenance strategy and inspections regime, liaising with the relevant service delivery colleagues to discuss/ rectify issues.
- To develop early solutions for highways improvements and/or renewals including compiling relevant documents evidence and options for value management, taking into account new techniques materials buildability and costs.
- To analyse asset data and develop renewal plans, in line with agreed methodologies and prioritisation criteria.
- To identify, procure and manage survey works to support the improvement and/or renewal of assets.
- Manage the development of technical briefs provided to the design and construction contractor for improvement and renewals work.
- Degree in relevant discipline or equivalent experience
- Strong knowledge of asset condition assessment and degradation modelling
- Must have asset management or design experience in the highways or similar infrastructure sector and be proficient in one, or more of the following disciplines:
- Structures (bridges and large culverts)
- Highway drainage
- Vehicle restraint systems
- Highway improvement (geometry)
- Experience in roads infrastructure design (pavements, VRS, signs etc)
- Excellent stakeholder management and communication skills
- Strong understanding of technical asset policies and strategies
- Experience in working within budgets including the creation of a budget for scheme development
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
All applicants must provide their right to work documentation at interview stage, such as a valid passport.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job