Experian is recruiting for a Principal Developer to work within the UK&I Solutions Software Development department. The Principal Developer role is the key technical lead for the Software Development department, setting and maintaining the high-quality required throughout the development life cycle. The Principal Developer will be an expert in at least one of the key technical domains (Mainframe, .Net & Java) - using this expertise you will be setting and enforcing the coding standards, driving improvement in your technology forums and leading your associated Lead Developers.
Day, to day, your responsibilities will be to have technical oversight and escalation for project developments - e.g. approving designs, supporting the lead developers and approving implementations. We'd also like you to take responsibility for the integrity of the software, ensuring technical debt is managed effectively (avoid creating it & remove it whenever there's opportunity).
Proven experience in a technical leadership role is also important as this will be a player-manager role with 3-5 Lead developers as direct reports, therefore as a leader of our people we want to know they are in good hands. You will also be part of the department management team to help define and contribute to the achievement of departmental objectives.
- Provide consultancy on a significant number of projects within the department
- Role model and trusted technical advisor across multiple technology platforms (Mainframe, Windows, Linux etc.) and business areas
- Proven ability to deliver the most complex technical artefacts when required
- Champion of best practice in design and development
- Deep expertise of development methodologies (Waterfall and Agile) and a range of technologies (ETL, .Net, Web Services, DB2, Cobol etc.)
- Provide Systems knowledge to the technical team to ensure that the solution meets the business requirements
- Provide guidance to members of the project with regard to best practices in software development and systems design.
- Assess the technical feasibility of proposed projects and business plans.
- Full understanding, monitoring and enforcement of divisional Change Management process.
- Take part in the Technical Design Authority as part of the team reviewing the technical deliverables from other teams
Business and Technical Knowledge
- Use of systems knowledge to support/assist feasibility, estimating and scheduling of projects
- In-depth knowledge of multiple product/system/services produced/maintained by own division and an understanding of products/services of other related divisions
- Broad knowledge of multiple delivery platforms
- Leads thelearning agenda to enhance the knowledge base of the development community
- Undertake Knowledge Sharing sessions within own team, to the rest of the department and when appropriate to other divisions in Experian
Teamleader / Coaching
- Drive Performance for Growth ensuring that all team members have stretching personal objectives, development plans and regular performance reviews to embed a high performance culture.
- Provide support and leadership to wider departmental and project teams.
- Support/induction for new members of the team as required
- Proactive coaching/mentoring of staff in the development of their systems knowledge and technical skills, and identification of their training needs
- Partner with Architecture to assure standards align with architecture principles
- Facilitate and drive performance management processes
Degree level qualifications or equivalent
User interface design skills advantageous
- Communication skills and the ability to explain solutions to technical and non-technical audiences
- Customer facing skills
- Experience of the full development lifecycle
- Experience in leading small teams of software developers
- Experience of supporting a complex technical environment
- Strong Software development and analysis skills
- Demonstrable experience in IBM Mainframe development technologies and/or Microsoft/Java
oCICS / COBOL and associated test/development tools
oUnit testing/Quality Assurance
oSQL, VSAM, Datastage or Pentaho