Principal Design Engineer (Electrical/PCB)
Established for over 40 years, employing over 60 staff in the UK Leamington Spa headquarters, they were acquired in 2016 by US-based QED Environmental Systems forming part of parent company Graco Inc’s environmental business division. The Graco group of companies has revenues of $1.5BN and 3,600 staff worldwide. They are global leaders in the design and manufacture of gas analysis technology.
Position: Principal Design Engineer
Location: Location: Leamington Spa and Coventry (from July 2018)
Job Type: Full Time, Permanent
Salary: circa £40,000 to £60,000
Benefits: Excellent Holiday Entitlement, Contributory Pension, Employee Share Purchase Programme, Health Insurance Scheme, Private Medical Insurance, Life Insurance, Income Protection Insurance, Employee Benefits/Saving Scheme, Subsidised Lunches, Free Breakfasts, Childcare Vouchers, Cycle To Work Scheme, Training & Career Development.
About the role:
As the Principal Design Engineer, you will support the company’s clear and ambitious growth plans. They are looking for a highly skilled, capable and enthusiastic individual with energy and drive to undertake this vital role within their talented and vibrant Research & Development team.
The role will act as somewhat of a "hybrid" in terms of acting as a technically skilled resource for the company as a whole whilst also being involved in all aspects of design and support for the company’s products. Keeping abreast of the latest technology is an important part of the role. The role is office based but travel, including some international, may be required from time to time.
- Investigate technologies relating to current and future business requirements
- Keep up to date with new electronic components and development
- Design electronic circuits for new instruments
- Understand and develop gas calibration techniques for gas analysers
- Provide technical expertise support for projects and personnel
- Design of new instrumentation, including electronic circuit design, pneumatic design, testing and calibration processes
- Work closely with the software and firmware developers to develop hardware
- Ensuring electronic designs and other aspects of projects comply with appropriate standards - e.g. Ex (Including -ATEX, IECEx, CSA, UL, etc.), EMC, RED, ROHS, etc. NOTE: This is a non-exhaustive list
- Involvement in Project planning and implementation, ensuring effective communication of anticipated timings for hardware requirements and timely delivery to these
- Effective contribution to internal and external project activity, offering a pro-active involvement
- Thorough documentation of designs and test results
- Provide support for older products, including technical queries and component obsolescence
- Assist the technical support department with customer queries
- Act as technical advisor for the ISO 17025 calibration accreditation, including ongoing compliance
- Extensive experience in a commercial design environment
- Background in technology, with ability to design electronic circuits
- Good understanding of PCB layout including high-speed, multi-layer designs and EMC
- Understanding and experience of pneumatics, and physics related to gas measurement
- Good investigative and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate at all levels, both written and orally
- Competent in MS Office application and Circuit Schematic design software
- Competent in maths and other associated design competencies
- Experience in low power, low noise design would be desirable
- Knowledge of International standards e.g. ATEX, Low-voltage Directives, Calibration Standard ISO 17025 would be highly advantageous
- You may have experience of writing firmware in C and low-level firmware for microcontrollers and peripherals, but this is not essential
You may have experience of the following: , Electronics Engineer, Optics Engineer, Principal Design Engineer, Design Engineer, Project Management, Engineering, Engineer, Project Engineer, Project Manager, Product Development, Product Manager, New Product Development, Research and development Engineer etc.
This vacancy is being advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment, the UK’s leading Online Recruitment Agency. The services advertised by EasyWeb Recruitment are those of an employment agency. No terminology in this advert is intended to discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, or belief, and we confirm that we will gladly accept all applications.