My client based in Essex are looking for Precision Optical Polishers / Fabricators.
My client is a successful optical component manufacturing company specializing in the fabrication of state-of-the-art optics for scientific research, aerospace and defence/security, medical, semiconductor / microelectronics manufacturing, life and health sciences and many other precision industrial manufacturing markets and applications.
- Handling, cleaning, polishing, testing, blocking, and basic inspecting of optical substrates, including flat and radius work.
- Optical fabrication: polishing a wide variety of precision optical components including flats, prisms, mirrors, windows, spherical lenses, aspheric lenses and cylinder lenses.
- Operate polishing machines to polish optical elements for use in precision optical instruments.
- Polish optics to specified tolerances via spherical, double-sided lapping, and conventional fabrication techniques.
- Fabricate optics composed of both hard and soft materials via multiple techniques.
- Demonstrate best practices of fabricating, cleaning, testing, and the proper handling of optics.
- Observes polishing operation and periodically stops machine to rinse element with water and to test element for conformance to specifications, using test lens, monochromatic light, microscope, and power determining and optical centering instruments.
- Perform various optical testing methods necessary to ensure the quality specification of components being tested.
- Use and interpret standard metrology equipment e.g. fringes on test plates and interferometers, auto collimator and spherometer.
- Perform visual inspections and interferometric measurements using Zygo, Talysurf, CGH, and precision gauges.
- Work with other polishers to learn intermediate polishing / fabrication process techniques, production or area quality problems.
- Provide accurate estimates on polishing times for components in the polishing area.
- Interpret and understand blueprints coming through the shop for fabrication purposes.
Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities
- Able to interpret optical drawings, specifications, and manufacturing processes.
- Hands on polishing experience in high accuracy optics.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a variety of optical polishing equipment (surface grinders and lapping machines) and testing equipment.
- Demonstrate an ability to run multiple (8+) spindles or pieces of polishing equipment.
- Must be able to achieve Nano finishes on ultra-hard materials.
- Must be familiar with quality methods associated with optics.
- Ability to perform calculations using algebra, geometry and other basic mathematical calculations.
- Positions are very "hands-on" and require an interest in working in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience with CNC generators and milling machines would be advantageous but is not a requirement.
Competitive salary on offer with additional benefits.
- Manufacturing Environment
- Polishing Experience in High Accuracy Optics
- Nano Finishes on Ultra-Hand Materials
- Algebra, Geometry and other basic mathematical calculations
- Interpret Optical Drawings, Specifications and Manufacturing Processes