Border to Coast
Border to Coast is a collaboration of 12 Local Government Pension Funds with a total asset value of £47 billion. They are looking to build an FCA regulated investment company ("BCPP Ltd") to manage these assets through both internal and external management with a number of investment vehicles, including an Authorised Contractual Scheme. Work on creating Border to Coast is well progressed to ensure the structures are in place to start to take on assets from mid- 2018. This is a complex project and opportunities now exist for key individuals to drive and shape the organisation and strategy, and create a performance and risk control culture to allow the new company to succeed.
To ensure readiness for the first transfer of assets in mid 2018, the business is looking to make a business critical investment team appointment of the Portfolio Risk Manager to support senior management in ensuring the investment process adheres to defined risk limits and proactively contribute to the investment team understanding and efficient use of risk.
The recently appointed CEO Rachel Elwell sees this as "a fantastic opportunity to get involved from the start of what will be one of the largest pension pools in the UK. We want to create a customer-owned and customer-focussed asset manager that has long-term, responsible and sustainable investment at the heart of its philosophy".
Key Contribution Areas
- Define and maintain appropriate risk system/tools and suitable risk metrics for each investment capability/product.
- Monitor the investment teams' risk exposures to ensure adherence with defined limits on daily/weekly/monthly basis as required
- Circulate routine and exception risk reports to CIO, investment teams and senior management, escalating if and when appropriate
- Contribute to defining realistic expectations for risk and return in respect of new capabilities/products
- Provide risk data to support communication with customers, consultants and other external parties
Key Skills & experience
- Good understanding and familiarity with investment risk models
- Experience within Investment/Asset Management industries
- Practical experience of using risk models to monitor investment risk
- Communication skills and ability to explain risk concepts to a less technical audience
This is a genuinely exciting opportunity to play a key role in driving the future success of one of the largest Pensions Pools in the UK from scratch. BCPP is being developed as a highly customer centric environment and with a clear agenda for creating a sustainable and responsible investment culture.