Our Client is a fast growing publicly owned British company that is a market leader in the development and production of bioplastics. They have developed a portfolio of "1st generation" bioplastic compounds for use in challenging applications that have high bio-based content and biodegrade/compost at the end of their useful lives. They have a strategy to use industrial biotechnology to bring to market the next "2nd generation" novel biomaterials and are focused on developing highly functional polyesters derived from agricultural biomass waste. In this regard, they are working with a number of leading universities on cutting edge biochemistry and chemical engineering research.
The business is experiencing rapidly growing demand for its bioplastics and now needs more exceptional people with an interest in materials to join the team to help bring new materials to market. They are now seeking a Polymer Scientist. This position is a full time permanent role and will be based in Southampton.
- Bioplastic product development (by compounding)
- Plan and conduct experiments to generate new candidate bioplastic materials to suit the requirement of customers
- Organize and develop appropriate testing of candidate materials
- Support commercialisation efforts by working with project managers, customers, suppliers and peers to address performance of compounds
- Identify resources and opportunities to improve products and expand technologies into new end uses
- Work with business personnel to develop and understand the business opportunities for internally developed technologies
- Utilise knowledge of the plastics industry to assist teams in addressing unmet needs
- Interface with customers, suppliers and manufacturing personnel as appropriate
- Maintain and/or further develop relationships with other relevant industry polymer, additive and/or equipment suppliers to further develop solutions
- Maintain and/or further develop partnerships with universities and/or institutes to assist in candidate materials idea generation as well as further enhance predictive testing capability
Qualifications and Experience
- BSc (or equivalent) in polymer science, polymer engineering, materials science or polymer chemistry
- Solid knowledge and experience of the structure-property relationships of a broad range of (natural) polymers and blend/filled systems
- Experience in many aspects of plastics compounding manufacturing including; extrusion compounding of plastics, rheology and physical properties of filled polymer systems, and plastics testing
- Strong customer interfacing skills and the flexibility to work independently but also in a highly collaborative team environment
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent team player
- Experience in project planning and management
- Willingness to travel in Europe/USA
- Experience in polymer extrusion compounding, especially of mineral filled systems
- Broad general knowledge of plastics testing including mechanical, rheological, thermal, optical and environmental testing
- Experience in plastic conversion technologies such as film blowing, injection moulding, lamination, nonwovens
- PhD in polymer science, polymer engineering, materials science or polymer chemistry is desirable but not essential
In return, our client is offering a basic salary of £33,000 - £35,000 per annum (salary is dependent on experience) plus benefits.
Please e-mail your C.V together with a covering letter to Lorraine Roger, Director at Atom Recruitment Ltd.
- Materials Science
- Polymer Chemistry
- Polymer Science