Policy, Communications & Government Relations Executive
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a recent Graduate to join the Policy, Communications and Government Relations Team as a Policy, Communications and Government Relations Executive.This position has initially been signed off for 2 years. The Team is part of the company’s External Affairs (EA) Department, based at its headquarters in Hertfordshire. A busy and dynamic team, the team covers key stakeholder groups relevant to the human health business, including politicians, policy makers, media, think tanks, academics, key opinion leaders (KOLs), patient groups and internal colleagues. The EA team operates at the centre of the business, often working cross-functionally including with Strategy, Value and Access, Health Technology Assessment/Outcomes Research and the therapy Business Units.
A Policy, Communications & Government Affairs Executive is required to provide broad support across the company’s policy team function. The role offers a unique opportunity for an individual looking to develop their career in policy and public affairs in the healthcare area. With the company’s policy, communications & government relations team providing support across commercial, NHS, health & industrial policy, the role would offer the opportunity to develop skills, knowledge and experience across a broad range of areas, within a major pharmaceutical company.
As a result, this role requires a self-motivated and organised individual who could operate and deliver within a fast-paced environment. The individual would need to be able to work effectively and confidently within a busy team, as well as at a senior level both internally and externally.
The role will be based at the company’s headquarters in Hoddesdon, Hertfordshire, although some travel to London and within the UK may be required from time to time. The role would report to the Director of Policy, Communications & Government Affairs. This role is a two year contract role with a possible extension. The position offers a salary in the range of £25,000 - £35,000 depending on experience.
Primary activities would include, but are not limited to:
- Monitoring and providing support across the range of political and policy environments in which the company operates, keeping senior leaders and managers up to date on and aware of key issues and developments relevant to the company and the healthcare market.
- Assisting the Policy, Communications and Government Relations Team in providing political and policy counsel across the business and the External Affairs team.
- Provide support and coordination on industry group engagement including the Association of British Pharmaceutical Association (ABPI), American Pharmaceutical Group (APG) as well as other industry group activities.
- Supporting the management of key stakeholder relationships including mapping of stakeholders, coordination of meetings, logging of interactions/materials, management and development of briefing materials for key meetings/engagement opportunities.
- Supporting and managing visits from senior global colleagues, including the development of briefing materials and the arranging of suitable stakeholder meetings.
- Understanding the regulatory environment in which the company operates and assisting in application of relevant compliance procedures and training for the business.
- Attend key conferences and events on behalf of the company, build networks and contacts and provided briefings after events.
- Manage relationships with defined external stakeholders, such as think-tanks, key offices of senior ministers and officials, etc.
- Monitor the development of the relevant EU and international political and policy environment and interact with our policy team and unit as required.
- Provide general day-to-day and administrative support to the Policy, Communications and Government Relations Team including event management.
Skills & competencies required:
- Degree level.
- Some experience of working within a policy or public affairs department or agency and ideally, within the pharmaceutical and/or health sector.
- Good understanding of and interest in the UK political and policy environment, particularly in the area of health and the commercial policy or pharmaceutical area more specifically.
- Strong project management.
- Highly developed and demonstrated organisation and communication skills (both written and verbal) and IT literate.
- Good research, briefing material preparation and market monitoring skills.
- The ability to learn quickly and take the initiative.
- Confidence to work in a fast-moving environment and often at a senior level, both with internal and external stakeholders.
- Positive and can do attitude.
- Enthusiastic and committed team player.
- Public Affairs