Core job description
You will be part of a brand new team being built to develop and launch a brand new product. You will be tasked with designing, building, deploying and maintaining a web based software solution that will power the injection of parcels and mail into the global postal networks.
Your primary responsibility as an Engineer will be to write robust, performant and secure code to develop the application (LEMP/LAMP stack). However it’s important to understand that the scope of this role encompasses more than just writing code - you will need to be able to add value to the overall project including contributing to the decision making process, architecture and successful management of the product.
You will be required to work across the stack, so while a high level of back end competency is essential, you will also need a solid understanding of front-end dev and be capable of working on both. You should be fully comfortable working with an MVC framework and writing modern OOP code.
You will report to the Chief Applications Architect who is responsible for the successful management and delivery of this product. The Chief Applications Architect reports to the Group CTO.
You will be based in the Group head office near Southampton and may be required to travel internationally (no more than 30 days per year).
You will be joining an entrepreneurial team that has built several profitable businesses from the ground up. The business is revered within the logistics industry for its technical expertise and ability to move quickly to disrupt and innovate.
Being a great developer will be just one attribute of the successful candidate. You’ll need to be a team player, great communicator, professional and organised. You won’t be a 'small cog in a big wheel’. On the contrary, you will have a significant role within the team and have a tangible impact on the direction of the product. Being willing and able to put forward great ideas and leverage your expertise to add value to the product is essential.
Equally you will need to be sympathetic to the fact you’re working for a commercial enterprise where the first priority is always running a profitable business. You must therefore be flexible in your technical ideologies, able to make decisions and prioritise effectively to deliver maximum value while maintaining a high quality standard to your work.
Qualifications and experience
- No specific qualifications are necessary, but you must be a technical expert, particularly in the field of web technologies.
- Logistics and postal experience is not necessary however would be advantageous.
- You must be capable of working with initiative but also within a team environment.
- 10+ years of experience developing applications with PHP (OOP) and MySQL.
- Experience with MVC frameworks.
- Experience deploying to and managing applications in a LAMP/LEMP environment.
- Experience estimating development timeframes and delivering on a deadline.
- Experience using GIT version control.Experience working with Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure
- Experience in developing browser plugins (across multiple browsers), more specifically for the purpose of printing
- Experience developing multi-lingual sites
The ideal candidate for this role will be:
An excellent communicator with great people skills.
- Highly organised.
- Able to display a high level of professionalism.
- Comfortable working with a broad range of people from every walk of life.
- Commercially aware and actively seek to understand the business need for their work.
- Flexible and willing to take on board other’s opinions.
- A passionate technologist who always seeks to improve themselves.
- Able to identify their own strengths and limitations.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job
"Office Assistant jobs in London"
'Saved search name'