Main Purpose of Job
- provide a payroll administration service to all the Business Groups within the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
- process, check and authorise information submitted to the Computerised Personnel System (HR SYSTEM) to ensure staff are paid promptly and correctly
- liaise with the Council’s payroll contractor to resolve pay errors for employees within all of the Council’s Business Groups
- provide a first point of contact and advice for all employees with regards to any pay associated query
- manage and check the work of the sub-team within the Central Payroll Team (CPT)
Duties and Responsibilities
- management and Organisation of the sub-teams work, including distribution of work
- authorise and check information submitted to the HR system, to ensure staff are paid promptly and the accuracy of the database is maintained
- check and authorise allowances payable to staff including acting allowances, professional fees, eye tests, honoraria, etc.
- process, check and authorize regular pay claims including car mileage, overtime, sleep-ins, etc.
- check payroll outputs against inputs for errors
- update any changes on the HR system relating to personal/job details including variations in terms and conditions
- resolve pay queries from employees and managers within the Council.
- liaise with the employee, where there has been an overpayment, to arrange recovery of that overpayment according to established procedures
- liaise and respond to outside bodies such as banks, Courts, Inland Revenue etc.
- make suggestions for, and assist in, the revision of procedures
- supervise the dispatch of payslips on a monthly basis together with any other circulars
- supervise the filing system, ensuring it is updated and in good order
- provide general administrative assistance across the HR department where required
- any other duties as directed by the Senior Payroll Team Leader or other Senior Officer
- a minimum of passes in GCSEs in English and Mathematics or equivalent (E)
- administrative experience (E)
- experience of working in a payroll/personnel section with computerised payroll/personnel records. (E)
- experience of supervising others (D)
- excellent numeracy skills (E)
- knowledge of pay and contract terms (E)
- knowledge and skilled use of MS Office applications and computerised payroll/personnel systems (E)
- good communication skills, both verbally and in writing (E)
- ability to communicate clearly, confidently and tactfully when dealing with colleagues and customers (E)