Organisation Development & People
Location: County Hall, Chelmsford
Salary: Up to £20,000
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours: Full time, 37 hours per week
Essex County Council (ECC) is one of the largest and most dynamic local authorities in the UK, serving a population of 2 million residents, and has a very successful track record of delivering transformational change. ECC anticipated change was needed in the public sector and has worked to deliver better quality at lower cost. We have an ambitious transformation agenda - one with the scope to reach every part of the council. We are changing the way we think, the way we work, and the ways in which we deliver our services. We are committed to becoming a place where individuals, partners and communities feel proud to play their role and genuinely want to belong. We're immensely proud of our flexible working options.
The Payroll function recently moved to Organisation Development and People in order to influence both the customer and employee experience in a key area of employee engagement. The Payroll function provides a comprehensive service, investing in new technology to better support our users and enable an empowered self-service and support function.
The Payroll Administrator provides high quality payroll information and support to the Council's internal and external customers. The role is responsible for high volume transactions using business rules and statutory legislation, data input into the combined HR/Payroll system to ensure accurate and timely processing. The role is also key in complying with service level agreements in order to ensure that customer expectations are met and a high value service is provided and maintained.
* Responsible for accurately calculating and inputting data into the integrated HR/Payroll system to provide a high quality, consistent and timely service to customers.
* Responsible for undertaking processing and analysis of information within the payroll or restructures disciplines.
* Responsible for providing advice and information in accordance with current statutory, contractual and legislative obligations of the Council.
* Working collaboratively with the wider Payroll team to work in accordance with and support the development of, SLA's on an ongoing basis, to ensure they reflect customer needs and a high value service.
* Responsible for performing business processes to ensure that key performance indicators and customer expectations are met.
* Working collaboratively as part of the Payroll function to ensure the integrity and security of personal, contractual and financial information, in line with legislation and ECC policies.
* Responsible for responding to customer enquiries in a timely and professional manner, in accordance with service standards.
* Responsible for providing support to the implementation of changes and improvements to the Payroll function.
* Responsible for working to agreed targets and reporting proactively where deadlines are at risk, in order to agree priorities and ensure service standards are met.
* Specific individual and shared targets and objectives are defined annually within the performance management framework. * Educated to GCSE level or equivalent by experience.
* Experience of working in a customer-orientated environment, dealing with customer queries in a service delivery setting and continuously seeking to improve the services provided to customers.
* Ability to understand and comply with organisational procedures and legislative requirements.
* Working collaboratively with colleagues to deliver good policy, practice and advice.
* Ability to communicate effectively, demonstrating empathy, listening and questioning skills.
* Good standard of written communication.
(Qualification certificates should be brought to interview)
As part of employment with Essex County Council (ECC) should your role require a DBS check you will be required to register with the DBS update service. The DBS update service ensures all registered DBS certificates are kept up to date and allows authorised parties to view the status of your certificate. This is an annual subscription and you will be responsible for ensuring this is maintained. For further information on the DBS update service please visit: https://dbs-update-service
Essex County Council is proud to offer an excellent benefits package to all its employees. More information can be found on
Essex County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expects all employees and volunteers to share this commitment.
We seek the best talent from the widest pool of people as diversity is key to our success.
If you have any queries regarding this role, or require anything further, please contact the Essex Recruitment Team on *
*Calls to this number are charged in the same way as calls to numbers starting 01 or 02, please check with your service provider
Working for Essex welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Working for Essex is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.