Location: Chelmsford, Essex
Working Hours: 39 per week, some flexible working needed around public holidays
Employment Status: Full-Time, Permanent
Overall Job Purpose:
To administer the control and processing of payroll data in order to efficiently and accurately pay the Society’s employees, pensioners and Board of Directors, in accordance with the Society’s policies, procedures and current employment legislation and ensure relevant accounting records are maintained. To administer records for the Society’s Pension Funds and deal with the external Pension Fund administrators.
1. To administer and maintain the payroll system to reflect current payroll legislation and to meet the Society’s policies and procedures.
2. To process payroll data in order to accurately calculate all payments, deductions and employers’ liabilities.
3. To ensure all net payments, including BACS are correct and are effectively controlled and reconciled.
4. To control, process and reconcile all statutory deductions and ensure payment to the statutory authorities in respect of payroll and benefits in kind, including RTI requirements.
5. To control, process and reconcile all other deductions and ensure payment to all other payroll creditors.
6. To control, process and reconcile all pension deductions and employer pension liability.
7. To maintain records for the two Pension Funds as required by the Pension Fund Administrators/Providers.
8. To administer the payments of Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) and ensure reimbursement, where appropriate.
9. To administer all tax year-end routines and production, reconciliation and submission of annual returns such as P35 and P11D’s.
10. To administer the production of the personnel cost report, and ensure reconciliation to the payroll, preparation and posting of all payroll journals into the accounting system.
11. To reconcile all payroll accounts to the accounting system and take action to correct variances.
12. To maintain accurate sickness records for all employees.
13. To update the Society’s provisions in respect of "Banked Holiday Pay".
14. To alert management to weaknesses in the payroll process and to non-compliance to Society policies and procedures with regard to payroll.
15. To complete all regular and ad hoc statutory and other payroll returns in accordance with instructions and deadlines.
16. Maintenance of MID database.
17. To undertake specific projects or tasks relating to payroll as directed by the Chief Financial Officer.
18. Holiday cover for payroll or accounting as required.
Limits of Authority:
May process weekly BACS file or request cheque for payment of wages or payments to payroll creditors with prior approval of the Chief Financial Officer and within the constraints of the Society’s Authorities Manual.
Key Performance Indicators:
1. Accuracy and timeliness of net wage payments.
2. Accuracy and timeliness of personnel costs.
3. Compliance with RTI requirements.
4. Compliance with employment legislation.
5. Compliance with policy and procedures.
6. Accuracy and timeliness of payroll reconciliation.
7. Completion of Annual Returns to timetable.
8. Achievement of projects/tasks to agreed criteria.
The Payroll and Accounts Administrator must have at least twelve months experience in payroll administration. A good working knowledge of excel.
Desirable but not key: Understanding of debit and credit journal entries and experience in posting and reconciling on accounting systems.
Knowledge of Bond Team Spirit Payroll system.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job