RAF Charitable Trust Enterprises (RAFCTE) is the trading arm of the RAF Charitable Trust (RAFCT), which is best known for staging the renowned Royal International Air Tattoo (RIAT) at RAF Fairford in Gloucestershire each year.
Reporting to the Chief Executive of RAFCTE, the Operations Director will be responsible for developing and executing an Operations strategy that consistently delivers safe and successful events. As well as operational delivery, the job holder will be expected to actively contribute to the development and execution of the Company’s overall vision and strategy, as well as the day-to-day running of the Company. The Operations Director will provide a balance of strategic and hands-on leadership and development of a team of 10, all of whom are highly motivated and committed to RAFCTE’s mission. Given the overall size of the permanent staff (40), it is important that candidates are willing to work cross functionally and 'roll their sleeves up’ to get the job done.
The role incorporates:-
- As a member of the senior management team, actively contribute to overall business planning and policy formulation and implementation
- Contribute to the preparation of the company’s annual budget
- Budget planning and reporting including effective management of all financial matters associated with the directorate
- Produce accurate and timely operational information and advice for decision making accordingly at Directors’, Board and other meetings
- Communicate effectively at all levels, encouraging an environment of open communication and the building of cross functional relationships
- Act as the Company’s spokesperson on air and ground operations related issues
- Accountable for the safe delivery of the planning, build and takedown phases of Company events.
- Conduct reviews and evaluations to identify cost efficiency opportunities
- Negotiate best terms with suppliers and contractors
- Accountable for the safe delivery of the Air and Ground aviation displays
- Act as the Company’s focal point for all aviation-related regulatory issues with the Military Aviation Authority (MAA) and Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)
- Accountable for the Emergency Services event planning (Police, Fire, Ambulance, Local Authority, MAA, CAA, RAF etc.) and work closely with all stakeholders involved directly or indirectly with planning and delivery of the events E.G. All Emergency Services, Local Authority Safety Advisory teams, RAF, USAF(Europe), RAF Fairford base personnel, Local community representatives, land owners etc.
- Define [and co-ordinate] the Company’s requirement for military (USA and UK) personnel and equipment support, [acting as the focal point with HQ Air Command]
- Working closely with an in-house health and safety specialist, carry out duties as Chairman of both the health and safety committee and health and safety advisory group
- Co-ordinate the activity of Air Tattoo Event Services, the aviation event consultancy arm of RAFCTE.
- Train, coach and develop employees, set objectives, give regular feedback and recognition and address performance issues where necessary
- Lead a team of volunteers before, during and after RIAT; assisting with recruitment and training; co-ordinating workloads and motivating
- [Carry out the duties of Company Secretary including board activities, compliance issues, legal matters and the overseeing of contracts and agreements]
The Operations Director will be required to work closely and collaboratively with all members of the RAFCTE board to deliver continuous improvement across the board. He/she will also interface with a diverse range of external stakeholders including event attendees, the volunteer workforce, suppliers to RAFCTE, manufacturers, sponsors, the population local to Fairford and representatives of the RAF and other air forces.
- Risk Management
- Collaborative Environment
- Commercially minded
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job