FCC Environment, part of the FCC Group, has a requirement for an Operations Chemist to be based at their site in Sheffield.
About the role
Our Operations Chemist will be involved in the chemical and physical testing of wastes received for treatment or transfer and the associated residues and process control samples from these activities. You will also complete and maintain appropriate waste consignment and laboratory records.
Key Responsibilities will be:
As well as your own personal safety the Operations Chemist will be responsible for that of all personnel under his or her authority, including others who may be affected by the company’s activities. In particular you will:
- Understand and implement the company SHEQ Policy
- Work within the Waste Treatment Division (WTD) to inspect and test wastes to confirm suitability for acceptance and to identify/confirm appropriate safe handling and processing methods
- Undertake laboratory based waste trials using instrumental and wet chemistry methods
- Inspect and complete waste consignment notifications
- Undertake waste analyses
- Identify appropriate safety and process considerations to allow wastes to be dealt with safely
- Ensure the safety of visitors and drivers while on site
- Maintain and undertake appropriate quality control methods to ensure accuracy of waste assessments
- Maintain accurate records
- Inspect, verify and complete consignment note documents
- Train and mentor new starters as and when required.
Experience and Skills
- Preferably a degree in chemistry but minimum HND Chemistry, or related subject
- Experience of waste, wastewater water and water analyses using spectrophotometric methods
- Preferably knowledge of hazardous waste classification and consignment note systems
- Knowledge of MS Office
- Be able to work both as part of a small team under own initiative
- Be customer focussed and able to communicate or liaise confidently with people at all levels
- Have flexible attitude to work and available to work overtime at short notice
- Be able to problem-solve using own initiative
FCC Environment is a leading UK waste and resource management company, which is part of a global group with a strong heritage in providing services for communities and businesses. Our vision is to be the environmental company of choice, delivering change for a sustainable future.
FCC Environment’s core business centers on collection, resource recovery and renewable energy providing services for local authorities and commercial customers. Our business is grouped into five core services:
- Municipal services – household waste collection, street cleansing, parks and gardens maintenance
- Business waste solutions –waste collection and recycling services for small and large companies
- Recycling – material recycling facilities, household waste recycling centers
- Green energy –recovery of energy from waste
- Waste Processing –industrial waste treatment, hazardous wastes and landfill disposal
We operate over 200 facilities in England, Scotland and Wales and employ around 2,500 employees. We recycle 1.2 million tonnes of waste each year.