Highways England is the new government owned company responsible for driving forward our motorways and major A roads. This includes; modernising and maintaining the highways, running the network and keeping traffic moving. Over recent years, investment in our highways has increased. This has led to advances in technology, such as smart motorways; enabling traffic to flow better. However, even more is yet to be done.
Certainty of funding and greater flexibility will enable us to become a better business. In our first 5 years alone, we'll invest £11 billion in motorways and A roads - boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety. At the same time, we'll improve how we work. That means we will be able to; plan roadworks better to minimise disruption; clear incidents more quickly; and save more than £1 billion by working more efficiently.
For further information on Highways England, please visit our website: www.highwaysengland.co.uk
We currently have four opportunities for Traffic Officer Team Managers on a 6month Fixed Term Contract or Secondment. These positions are 'on-road' and based at the following locations:
Two roles are to be based at Tingley outstation, please see address below:
Tingley Motorway Depot
Two roles are to be based at Sprotbrough outstation, please see address below:
Sprotbrough Maintenance Depot
This role will be a 24/7 shift pattern, and it is essential that any applications live within one hour of the outstation.
Day to day
* Provide effective front line management, supporting and developing self, individuals and a team. Ensuring safety, absence and conduct are managed pro-actively.
* Take personal responsibility for the health and safety of yourself and others by challenging, reporting and acting on any unsafe activities or conditions.
* Comply with Health and Safety responsibilities and reporting requirements to ensure all staff operate in a safe manner
* Lead the team to deliver a professional frontline service by developing and maintaining a positive and collaborative relationship with colleagues, partners and stakeholders
* Contribute to improvements which minimise risk to the health, safety and welfare of colleagues, stakeholders and customers.
* Manage and seek ways to improve operational performance against agreed business objectives.
* Act as incident commander at scene on behalf of Highways England.
* Ensure all those involved are working safely and collaboratively to resolve the incident and restore the network for the use of our customers in a timely manner.
* Be proactive in the development of yourself and others by reviewing and learning from past experiences whilst seeking further opportunities to improve capability and future performance.
* Experience of building and maintaining strong professional relationships to deliver results outside immediate team
* A strong track record of delivering outcomes and achievements (KPI's) in a customer focused organisation.
* Experience of incident management, and working in an operational environment with experience or knowledge of JESIP.
* Proficient in the use of IT office software products
* Experience of leadership through building and maintaining a high performing team
* Experience of Managing Safety in the Workplace
* Ability to deliver work in a calm and effective manner
All applications must be accompanied with a current CV which will be used to assess your suitability for the role. Please ensure all the skills, experience and qualifications requested are clearly demonstrated in your CV as explained in the body of the advert.
Please click here for the full job description.
All applicants must provide their right to work documentation at interview stage, such as a valid passport.
Please note that Highways England reserve the right to close the advert before the advertised closing date should a sufficient response have been received. Therefore, please complete your application as soon as possible to avoid disappointment.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/