Yolk are currently recruiting for a full time Ward Manager (fixed term 9 month contract maternity cover) to join a busy Ward Department. The successful candidate will be required to work 37.5 hours per week and the shift patterns will vary.
- To provide effective clinical leadership to the ward.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of Ward resources.
- Manage the training and develop the needs of the ward team.
- Act as Deputy for Head of Clinical Services as required.
- To provide effective leadership in the ward, maintaining good staff morale and ensuring high standards of patient care are performed and maintained.
- Exercise leadership based on professional behaviour, sound organisation, good interpersonal relationships and effective communication.
- To encourage the nursing team to provide evidence based care to comply with the National Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE).
- To be accountable for own clinical practice and participate in improving knowledge and professional competence to comply with PREP regulations and registration with the Nursing & Midwifery Council.
- To develop own nursing practice as a part of the education process for Continuous Professional Development (CPD).
- To progress the use of Integrated Care Pathways (ICPs) and other ward/hospital documentation as changes occur.
- To provide staff rotas using appropriate skill mix.
- To organise and participate in clinical audit and react effectively to recommendations and outcomes. To provide preferred consultant care to ensure best practice for patients and their families.
- To provide information for, and participate in, Clinical Governance.
- To undertake clinical practice as required and to ensure that own clinical skills are maintained. This should equate to 30% of time spent on duty.
- To provide management of the ward nursing team through regular discussions with Head of Clinical Services and ensure a safe clinical environment is maintained at all times.
- To participate in the appointment of ward staff, monitor progress and provide support as and when required.
- To create an atmosphere conducive to learning by providing encouragement within the ward team for both qualified nurses and student nurses during their placements.
- To conduct annual appraisals for all ward staff and provide support for agreed objectives.
- To promote the use of the All Wales Minimum Nurse Staffing guidance to plan and develop off duty to ensure a quality service is provided and maintained within budgetary constraints.
- To compile and manage the ward budget and to work effectively and efficiently within the constraints of each financial year.
- To have responsibility for the ordering of supplies and equipment within the agreed annual budget.
- To continue to support and provide Clinical Supervision for the ward nurses.
- To provide an annual ward business plan that ensures both the ward and HMT philosophy are encompassed in those plans.
- To represent the ward at hospital meetings and provide information re: activity and developments.
- To act as deputy for Head of Clinical Services in her absence.
- To provide a safe environment for the safety and welfare of patients and staff by complying with: -
- Health & Safety At Work Act
- Fire Prevention and Management
- To be aware of and comply with all Hospital policies and procedures
- To adhere to all matters relating to Health & Safety
- To participate in all hospital wide Quality Assurance initiatives
Ensure patients, visitors and staff are protected against acquiring a healthcare associated infection by effectively maintaining and utilising hospital systems designated to assess the risk of, and prevent, detect and control, the spread of healthcare associated infections. Also to maintain high standards of cleanliness and hygiene, including all equipment, reusable medical devices and all other materials used during the provision of services to patients.**
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IS NOT EXHAUSTIVE AND THE EMPLOYEE WILL BE EXPECTED TO UNDERTAKE OTHER DUTIES FROM TIME TO TIME WITHIN HIS/HER CAPABILTIES.
THIS JOB DESCRIPTION WILL BE SUBJECT TO ANNUAL REVIEW IN LIGHT OF DEVELOPMENTS WITHIN THE SERVICE IN CONSULTATION WITH THE POST-HOLDER.
Job Type: Full-time
- Management: 4 years
Required licence or certification:
- NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council)
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job