About the Role
We are seeking a Permit and Licencing Manager to join our Environment and Operations service based in Barnet (North London Business Park).
Reporting to the Associate Director, you will manage multiple small teams reviewing permit and licencing applications from works promoters, in addition to controlling costs and budgets for the service, and reporting on performance and compliance metrics, in line with relevant legislation.
Re (Regional Enterprise) Ltd is the joint venture between the London Borough of Barnet and Capita. Our innovative commercial model was set up in 2013 and brings together the best of public and private sector delivery.
Our services include; Planning and development management, building control, land charges, environmental health, trading standards and licensing, cemetery and crematorium, highways, regeneration and strategic planning.
Through Re, our aim is to create places where people want to invest, live, work and play. We have grown our business to provide a range of property, development and regulatory services to other local authorities and commercial organisations.
What you will do:
Service Delivery and Team Management
- Manage the Permit, Vehicle Crossover, Highways Licencing and Business Support teams.
- Lead the permit team providing administrative and technical support in the effective and efficient promotion and use of the computerised NRSWA/Permit system (Exor - Atlas) to ensure that the council fulfils its duties and obligations under the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) and the London Permit Scheme (LoPS)
- Ensure team members are carrying out detailed checks of all permit applications prior to approving the permit and that all permit requests are reviewed and responded to within the required timescales in order to ensure that charges are justified and meet the council's network management duties.
- Ensure that all vehicle crossover applications are assessed in line with legislation and council policies, with a high quality service being delivered to customers.
- Ensure that all highway licence applications are assessed and processed in line with relevant legislation.
- Ensure business is supported by appropriate officers undertaking financial, procedural and administrative tasks in line with legislation as well as council policy and timescales.
- Develop training plans and train staff on the computerised system to ensure that team members are fully conversant with the system to ensure compliance with LoPS and NRSWA legislation.
- Build up close working relationships with works promoters and ensure that regular meetings take place to discuss performance, charges, invoices and outstanding debts.
- Respond to escalated complaints from customers, Members, council officers, works promoters and other stakeholders
KPI Monitoring and Reporting
- Interrogate the computerised NRSWA/Permit system (Exor - Atlas) to ensure that the council and works promoters fulfils its duties and obligations under the New Roads and Street Works Act (NRSWA) and the London Permit Scheme (LoPs) when making permit requests.
- Ensure that appropriate investigation, review and subsequent decisions are being taken to ensure that all the works carried out on the highway network by all works promoters including the council are coordinated and monitored such that the works cause minimum disruption to residents and highway users.
- Analyse the performance statistics on all works promoters and produce periodic detailed reports which will identify the performance standards being achieved on all aspects of the promoters' works and, where required, to determine action plans and enable improvement notices to be issued.
- Investigate any issues resulting in failure to meet performance targets, report any findings, and propose and implement any necessary corrective actions.
- Take the lead role in liaising with the Inspectors and NRSWA Manager with regard to conditions to be attached to permits and identify these to the works promoter and validate that these have been included before approving the permit.
- Develop improvement/action plans as required following analysis of reporting information and to respond to any issues arising from the LoPS working party group.
- Responsible for all income streams and costs relating to all teams and for reporting financial information on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis.
- Responsible for the teams' budget targets and ensuring efficiency is applied to the service delivered.
- Maintain daily, weekly and monthly records of the income related to each aspect of LoPS and NRSWA activities in order to accurately report on budget achievements.
- Lead on the production of draft charges and invoices to works promoters and issue such on a monthly basis for agreement.
- Lead on responding to any challenges from works promoters relating to the proposed charges and deal with these robustly in order to maximise the income from these activities.
- Liaise with the NRSWA Manager before agreeing to alter any of the proposed charges and deal with these as agreed.
Your experience will include:
- NRSWA Supervisor Accreditation
- Line management responsibility
- Familiarity with Street Works Noticing Systems.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation (NRSWA 1991, TMA 2004 etc)
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including preparing structured reports.
- Financial and performance management experience
- KPI Monitoring and reporting experience
Follow Capita on twitter @capitacareers
Follow Capita on facebook @careersatcapita
Capita Resourcing welcome applications from all suitably qualified people regardless of gender, race, disability, age or sexual orientation.
Capita Resourcing is a trading name of Capita Resourcing Ltd. Services offered are those of an Employment Agency and Employment Business. Applicants will be required to register with us.
If you are successful with your application, you will need complete Capita's vetting and screening checks. This will include, but not be limited to, Reference Checks, a Criminality Check, Financial Probity Check, Sanctions Check and Media Check.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job