A fantastic opportunity has arisen to work for a rapidly expanding EXPRESS PARCELS distribution company based in LEIGHTON BUZZARD as a NIGHT WAREHOUSE OPERATIONS MANAGER.
The hours of the role will be 11pm to 8am managing a NIGHT OPERATION of 12 Warehouse staff oversseing all the tipping and unloading of the 8 inbound trunks and loading of the local collection and delievery rounds in the LEIGHTON BUZZARD, LUTON and surrounding BEDFORDSHIRE LU postcodes . The site has expanded rapidly over the last few years, as has the company who currently are opening on average 4 new depots a year.
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
To ensure that all standards and procedures within the depot relating to the Night Operation are carried out as laid down in the Company Operations Quality Procedures Manual.
POSITION IN THE ORGANISATION
Directly responsible to: Depot/Operations Manager
Functionally responsible to: General Manager
Subordinates directly supervised: Operational (Warehouse and Traffic Office) Shift Supervisors - Nights
- All Drivers
- Warehouse Staff - Nights
SPECIAL RELATIONSHIPS INTERNAL LIAISON WITH
Customers Vehicle Maintenance Contractors
Agents Personnel based at Head Office and all depots
When applicable : Fire Services and Police
SCOPE OF JOB
To control and organise, under the responsibility of the Depot / Operations Manager, the Night Warehouse Operation and the Supervisors and Staff employed in that activity.
- To organise the efficient unloading of the trunk vehicles and the preloading of the C&D vehicles.
- To ensure that all discrepancies are correctly logged and recorded on the computer system, in particular misrouted traffic.
- To ensure that all time sensitive deliveries are identified and loaded correctly on the rear of the vehicle.
- To undertake security spot checks of vehicle loading to ensure that the correct traffic is being loaded on to the correct vehicle.
- Ensuring that any trunks depart the depot at their scheduled time.
- To ensure that all trunks are securely sealed and the numbers recorded prior to departing the depot.
- To ensure fuel dispensing systems are operational and accurate records are kept of any fuel drawn off during the night operation.
- To ensure that all operational documentation and information relating to the trunk operation is correctly recorded
- To ensure that all drivers are fully briefed on their day's activities, that consignment notes, OPD1's and any other operational documentation is readily available for them.
- To ensure that all warehouse mechanical and manual handling equipment is serviceable and meets with laid down Company operational and health and safety procedures and where any faults are reported these are reported to either local management or external suppliers for repair, particularly in relation to potential health and safety issues.
- To ensure that any equipment within the depot, i.e. photocopiers, fax machines, PC's, etc. are operating and that any faults are reported to the appropriate internal departments or external suppliers for repair, particularly in relation to potential health and safety issues.
- To keep an updated list of qualified Fork Lift Truck Drivers and ensure that they only are permitted to operate that equipment.
- Ensuring that any operational reports are completed accurately and on time.
- Ensuring depot housekeeping is maintained at all times, i.e. warehouse kept neat, clean and tidy, all walkways are kept free of obstructions and attention is paid to health and safety.
- Maintain and operate health and safety procedures as laid down by the Company during the night operation.
- To assist the Depot Management with the induction, training and improving the standards of the Supervisors, Warehouse and Night Traffic Office Staff.
- To undertake any training that may be required by the Company.
- To carry out other such duties and work as may be required by the Depot Management.
- Working within the limits of authority as laid down by the Company and delegated by local management, in particular the authority to recruit staff, discipline staff and purchase goods and services.
TO APPLY FOR THE ROLE YOU MUST HAVE HAD PREVIOUS SUPERVISORY / MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE WORKING WITHIN AN EXPRESS PARCELS / PALLETS OR OTHER TRANSPORT RELATED ENVIRONMENTS. YOU MUST ALSO BE COMMITTED TO WORKING NIGHTS.
To be successful in this role you will need to possess :
* A track record of success in a leadership position within a fast paced environment
* Demonstrable background of success in meeting and exceeding targets and delivering an outstanding client experience
* Practical knowledge and understanding of Health and Safety regulations
* Computer literate and comfortable in the use of technology and IT systems, including knowledge of MS Office
* People management and leadership experience including previous success with managing teams
* Comfortable, willing and able to lead by example and also adopt a practical hands-on approach when required
* Good communication skills
* Decisive and able to work unsupervised
* Able to work at pace whilst maintaining an accurate, high quality output
* Highly organised with a well-developed approach to prioritisation
* Previous experience within the Parcel Freight industry
* Management experience within a warehouse environment
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job