We are seeking a Band 4 Medical Secratary to join the StaffBank at Kettering General, To provide comprehensive secretarial and administrative support to the Consultant and his/her team, ensuring the office is managed and administered to efficiently and effectively.
A high level of initiative, knowledge, tact, diplomacy and effective communication is required to all levels of management and staff, ensuring a high level of confidentiality is maintained.
Contributing to the organisation and workload management of the Consultant and his/her team as required.
- To deal with telephone enquiries from key contacts including GP’s, liase with internal and external sources to resolve any problems, queries or complaints, which may be from distressed patients/relatives and may include dealing with delicate situations, using own judgement.
- Deal with patients, relatives, medical representatives and other professionals that attend the office to resolve any problems, queries, complaints or requests for appointments.
- Ensure confidentiality at all times.
- Manage own workload and work independently within service need.
- Maintain diaries, assist in scheduling consultant workload, and liase with other relevant parties concerning the planning and re-scheduling of work as necessary.
- Advise junior medical staff to attend clinical commitments as necessary.
- Allocate and organise junior medical staff administrative workload, ensuring timely response in the interest of patient care.
- Organise medical students, clinical attachments and work experience students attached to the Consultant, liasing with various departments to arrange the placements, arrange teaching sessions and attendance at clinical sessions as necessary.
- Compile and review office protocols, modifying working practices where necessary, ensuring that protocols are up to date and contain all relevant procedures within individual offices to support any relief medical secretaries, clerical staff and new staff who may be required to support the office.
- Open post and prioritise for consultant, dealing with any matters not requiring the consultant’s attention.
- Ensure all investigations and test results are checked by the consultant, or an appropriate member of his/her team. Ensure all known abnormal or urgent results are brought to the attention of the consultant, or an appropriate member of his/her team; ensuring urgent action is taken as appropriate.
- Ensure systems are in place to ensure that accurate copies of correspondence, x-rays, pathology and other investigative reports are accurately filed in medical records case notes, following laid down guidelines.
- Ensure word processing of all documents relevant to consultant’s work, clinical and non-clinical, including the transcription of tapes, prioritising workload effectively.
- Ensure that correspondence is despatched in line with the Medical Secretariat Benchmarks and in the interests of patient care.
- Ensure a general administrative service is provided for the consultant and his/her team including photocopying, filing, faxing and distribution.
- To assist in the compilation of any patient, clinic or admission lists, liasing with waiting list /appointment staff where necessary, giving concise instructions regarding preparation and administration of waiting list issues and procedures and appointment requests, cancellations and rescheduling.
- Liase with other departments concerning case notes for appointments and admissions, ensuring timely availability of patient x-rays, the results of tests and investigations.
- Ensure prompt dispatch of case notes from the office.
- Undertake ordering of stationery for the office/area you are responsible for.
- Take minutes and arrange meetings.
- Assist in the preparation of teaching materials including presentations/slides, organising teaching sessions and speakers.
- To use the computerised Integrated Clinical Information System regarding identification of patient, in-patient, out-patient and waiting list data.
- Process information through established Trust systems and procedures.
- Participate in audits as required.
- General Administrative
- Medical Records
- Word Processing
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job