Network Security Analyst
£31,374 - £48,234 p.a. incl. plus annual Performance Related Pay and an On-Call allowance. Salary will be decided according to the skills and experience of the applicant.
36 hours per week plus On-Call on a rotational basis
We are looking for excellent Network Security Analyst to join our IT support team who have an interest in IT and wants the opportunity to progress based on merit.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within a professional IT service and as a representative of the service you must be of smart appearance, committed to customer care and be able to work with minimum supervision. Our Service Desk is at the heart of our operation and you will play a vital role in ensuring we exceed customer expectations by working to resolve the issues and requests that are brought to our attention. You must have previous experience of working within a busy and successful environment and be technically competent.
We are progressing our compliance to the ITIL framework and Prince2, and are keen to take on people who are ITIL/Prince2 aware, self-motivated, enthusiastic and have a can do attitude. ITIL and PRINCE2 training will be supplied where necessary.
Working for the Richmond/Wandsworth Shared Staffing Arrangement
This role is employed under the Shared Staffing Arrangement between Richmond and Wandsworth Councils. The overall purpose of the Shared Staffing Arrangement is to provide the highest quality of service at the lowest attainable cost whilst being a responsible and caring employer.
Staff are expected to deliver high quality and responsive services wherever they are based, as well as having the ability to adapt to sometimes differing processes and expectations.
The Shared Staffing Arrangement aims to be at the forefront of innovation in local government and the organisation will invest in the development of its staff and ensure the opportunities for progression that only a large organisation can provide.
Staff benefits include:
- 31 days annual leave
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme
- Schemes to help with travel costs
- Tax free Cycle to Work scheme
- Discounts at local shops and restaurants
- Opportunities for progression in a large IT department
- Performance related salary progression
- ...and more!
Under the terms of employment, you are required to work anywhere in the organisation but this position is based in Wandsworth.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities:
This role is primarily a hands-on network and security support role and you will be heavily involved in the support and day-to-day management of the network and network security infrastructure.
Day-to-day tasks include:
- Network security monitoring using existing tools.
- Identify and mitigate risks across the network.
- Validation of access policy configurations.
- Maintain up-date documentation.
- All aspects of Installation and maintenance of the network infrastructure
- Investigation support of any actual or potential information security incidents.
- Periodic security assessment of Firewall, Router, Switches and other network component security configurations.
- Developing existing monitoring tools to improve their output.
Essential skills and experience;
- Excellent working knowledge of copper and fibre cabling and associated transceivers
- Excellent working knowledge of Local Area Network (LAN) VLan’s, L2 Switches
- Excellent working knowledge of Wide Area Network (WAN), Routers, L3 Switches
- Excellent working knowledge of Firewalls Juniper, FortiGate, CiscoASA
- Excellent working knowledge of Wi-Fi such as Aruba or Meru
- Excellent working knowledge of Load balancers such as Kemp or Microsoft NLB
- Excellent working knowledge of Proxy Servers such as ForcePoint, FortiGate
- Excellent working knowledge of xDSL, Ethernet, IP, TCP, UDP, DNS, DHCP, HTTP, HTTPS, VoIP, NAT, RDP, OSPF, BGP
- Strong hands-on configuration experience with Firewalls, Routers and Switches.
- Strong understanding of network security concepts and principles.
- Extensive hands-on experience with troubleshooting, supporting and developing IPv4-based networks.
- Packet capturing and analysis such as Wireshark
- Testing and implementation of new and existing systems
- Vulnerability Scanning and Pen Testing such as Nessus and/or TCPDUMP
- Excellent ability to capture, troubleshooting and analyse complex issues and provide options to overcome these challenges through influence.
- Excellent interpersonal and client facing skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be a good team player with an ability to adapt to changing priorities.
- Experience with IDS/IPS systems.
- Experience with SIEM, Network monitoring systems, ideally SolarWinds, SNMP V1-3, Netflow etc...
- Experience working with Windows/Linux systems.
- Experience working with VMware ESX/NSX/vCenter and virtualisation.
- Experience working with cloud based systems such as Azure, AWS
- Any certifications in Networking and Security from any vendor
- Any certification in ITIL and/or Prince2
If you are called for interview you will be required to complete a test successfully in order to advance to the face to face interview. Please ensure your CV includes a daytime number you can be contacted on, an email address and your home address. Unfortunately, we can't interview outside of office hours.
This is a permanent position and we do not wish to receive CVs from candidates wishing to work as a contractor or recruitment agents. Any such CVs submitted will be discarded.
We may appoint before expiry of this advert if a suitable candidate is found.
- Network Infrastructure
- Network Security