Network Engineer | Junos | Cisco | DV Clearance | In-scope IR35 | 6 month contract
Your new company
My public sector client has a requirement for a DV Cleared Network engineer on a contract basis in the Transition Team. The Transition team is responsible configuring, deployment, installation and maintenance of equipment at partner sites which enables connectivity to the shared service. This role, as Transition Engineer, will have responsibility for configuring, maintaining and supporting remote site networking and associated equipment to ensure a seamless and consistent approach to site deployment activities.
Your new role
Work with the Transition team to assist them with their creation of relevant network builds ensuring architectural, design and adherence to security principals are maintained throughout. This is not limited to but includes configuring and deployment of switches, routers, firewalls and cryptographic equipment. You will also assist with desktop deployment and printing provision as sites go live. Once live, manage the process to handover the sites to live support. As part of the team, the responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
1. Install new / rebuild existing servers/supporting infrastructure and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
2. Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures and scenario playbooks, for example environment startup/shutdown.
3. Contribute to and maintain system standards.
Operations and Support:
4. Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
5. Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
6. Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
7. Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted parties. Manage the operations of remote, "lights out" data centres.
8. Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
9. Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
10. Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
11. Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required.
The post holder will have excellent communication skills, utilising multiple methods of communication across diverse teams.
What you'll need to succeed
HND or equivalent previous experience.
Demonstrable high level of "hands on" technical support experience to include:
Cryptography equipment; Firewall and Internet facing protection technologies; Networking, Switching & Routing technologies; Management of WANs and VLAN infrastructure.
Successful candidates must meet the security requirements before they can be appointed. The level of security needed is DV (Developed Vetting).
ITIL V3 Foundation vSphere/EXSi 6 Red Hat Enterprise Junos F5 Palo Alto Cisco Hyper-visor based Virtual Networking
Out of hours support as prescribed Occasional travel to site and Datacentre as necessary
What you'll get in return
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job