An exciting opportunity has arisen to join the IT Services team at B&FC as a Network and Communications Team Leader. The successful applicant will be responsible for supervising the workflow of a small team of network and communications engineers who collectively maintain the College’s core network infrastructure across all campuses; troubleshooting issues, identifying opportunities for increased resilience and performance, and providing excellent customer service. Technology deployed across B&FC sites is mostly Cisco-based, including switches, routers, wireless, VoIP and firewalls. It is therefore required that applicants have hands-on experience with the majority of these technologies.
Summary of responsibilities
- Responsible for the team management, leadership and development of the Network and Communications team
- To take the technical lead role in the Network and Communications team
- To take a technical lead role in IT projects that require the skills and expertise of the Network and Communications team.
- To ensure that the data and communications networks meet the required availability SLAs and performance targets.
- To provide leadership and management to the Network and Communications team.
- To ensure timely and efficient fault resolution to all issues that may be raised to the Network and Communications team and deliver excellent customer service.
- To ensure effective communication with all affected parties throughout the lifecycle of an issue or project.
- To design and improve operational processes and procedures that will maximize the efficiency of the team and contribute to the operational efficiency of the whole IT Services team.
- To provide support to the other IT Services teams.
- To ensure that all Network and Communications team processes and procedures are documented, updated and made available to all IT Services teams.
- To ensure the availability of the Network and Communications team and that all operational hours are staffed.
- To provide technical advice and guidance to the Network and Communications team and to lead on relevant technical matters.
- To ensure that ITIL best practice is followed in respect of incident management, problem management and change control.
- To provide support and technical expertise to IT projects.
- To provide operational reports to the ICT Services Manager.
- To actively contribute to the development of the IT strategy.
- To contribute to the implementation of the IT strategy.
- To recommend and implement continuous improvements to the College’s local and wide area network provision, including internet connectivity and VOIP infrastructure.
- To ensure that resilience and disaster recovery is taken into consideration in the provisioning of new solutions.
- To play a key role in delivering IT strategic goals in own area of expertise.
- To provide resource to and assist other IT Services teams to deliver their strategic goals.
- Identify, document and action team staff development plans and training opportunities. Manage development through the staff performance review system and regular one to one meetings.
- Actively contribute to the development and improvement of the IT Service by scanning for appropriate new technologies and contributing to Service Improvement plans.
- Actively seek improvements to processes and procedures within own team.
- To be responsible for identifying own training needs and the needs of own team and identifying appropriate training resources.
- To assist in recruiting new staff.
- Health, Safety & Security
- To ensure that all College Health & Safety Policies are adhered to in working practices.
- To advise the Network and Communications team of relevant health & safety policies.
- To complete and where appropriate escalate, risk assessments for own work area.
- To comply with all College policies regarding appropriate dress and visibility of identification badge.
Standard Responsibilities for all positions in B&FC:
- To fully adhere to all college policies and procedures.
- Take appropriate responsibility to ensure the health and safety of self and others.
- Pursue the achievement and integration of equality and diversity throughout all College activities.
- Blackpool and The Fylde College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. We expect all staff to share this commitment.
- To show commitment to the College and its internal and external customers.
- To work cooperatively with colleagues at all times.
- Undertake any other tasks and responsibilities appropriate to the level of this post.