We are responsible for operating, maintaining and improving England's motorways and major A roads. Consider that a third of all traffic, two thirds of heavy goods vehicles, and 98% of UK businesses rely on them, and you can see why our roads, and what we do, matters so much.
It's an exciting time to begin a career with Highways England as we invest £11 billion in our motorways and A Roads boosting capacity, tackling congestion and improving safety which why we're so grateful to our c 4,500 employees around the country. When you work with us, you're helping to connect communities, sustain business and support the economy. And with responsibility for major projects, working here is also a great move for your career.
As National Operations Manager you will evaluate and manage the impact of planned and unplanned incidents on the network, working closely with National Incident Liaison Officers (NILO), Regional Strategic Leads, Duty Operations Managers, Customer Contact Centre (CCC) and National Traffic Information Service (NTIS).
The National Operations Manager will lead coordination, on a national basis, during incidents escalated under the Crisis Management process
Day to Day:
* Provide 24/7 operational leadership of the network.
* Evaluate the impacts of tactical responses from the Regional Centres upon the strategic management of the network: co-ordinate responses to maximise traffic flow and minimise the impact of both planned and unplanned events.
* At all times maintain visibility of the national network's performance and proactively take action to mitigate known risks (e.g. planned events, severe weather, traffic, planned works etc.).
* As part of the escalation procedure, understand the Crisis Management and regional processes, adhering to procedures and safety standards.
* Lead and instigate National debriefs, identifying actions and sharing best practice, to improve network performance and wider business effectiveness.
* Ensure robust Information debriefing arrangements are in place, to identify and learn lessons for the future.
* Develop and maintain a network of colleagues and wider stakeholders in Operations to support the delivery of agreed business objectives.
* Proven experience of applying information received from a variety of resources to the decision making process.
* Proven experience of working in a complex service delivery environment, to tight deadlines.
* Proven experience of engaging effectively with staff at all levels, with different technical understanding, to convey complex and challenging information to a variety of audiences.
* Proactive and forward learning approach to incident and issue resolution, driving best outcomes for customers.
* Proven experience of identifying when it will be necessary to provide direction and challenge decision making at a senior level.
* Experience of managing a busy workload in complex and challenging service delivery environment.
* Strong communication and leadership skills
So we can really get to know you and what you can offer please include a CV with your application.
You're also encouraged to include a covering note explaining how you're a great match for us: so please tell us how your skills, experience and qualifications meet both the role, and Highways England, requirements.
We're expecting this role to be popular, so we may need to close the advert early if response is strong so to avoid disappointment, please apply as soon as possible
Help keep England moving.
We look forward to hearing from you.
For a full list of our vacancies please apply at recruitment.highways.gov.uk/