National Citizen Service Delivery Provider - Somerset Rural Youth Project (SRYP)
To lead a four week NCS Wave, managing a team of youth workers through the programme, and working alongside the SRYP senior management team, to achieve the NCS Programme outcomes.
To be responsible for managing an NCS wave of 105 young people (aged 15-17) and 14 staff through the NCS programme.
SRYP delivers NCS across the whole of Somerset. Programme delivery will be from a residential venue, and then a location local to the group of participants.Leading the Programme:
- Delivering the pre-set NCS programme, engaging up to 105 young people.
- Take part in residential activities
- Develop team work, communication and leadership skills
- Learning about their own communities
- Plan and run their own social action projects.
- Lead on the management of behaviour throughout the programme, delivering any sanctions necessary.
- Responding to issues raised by young people and staff throughout the programme, and reporting health and safety / safeguarding incidents as appropriate.
- Liaising with partner agencies / residential venues, acting as a first point of contact.
- Supporting SRYP core staff with keep warm events and the graduation event.
Logistics and administration
- Manage timings and processes to ensure the programme runs to schedule.
- Work with the SRYP / NCS core staff team to liaise with accommodation staff and external partners where necessary.
- Hold all sensitive information on young people securely in accordance with SRYP policies.
Pastoral staff team management
- Manage up to 14 staff throughout the programme to ensure the highest quality facilitation and pastoral care for all participants (including support and development).
- Ensure team leaders are keeping appropriate records for their team (including registers, social media content, incident forms, social action records).
- Ensure regular performance feedback is given to staff and support provided throughout the programme.
- Work with the core staff team to complete overall feedback on each staff member at the end of the programme.
We run a fast-paced and challenging programme which requires a high level of flexibility. In addition to the responsibilities outlined you may be required by SRYP to undertake any duties within your skills and capabilities which SRYP reasonably considers necessary to meet the needs of the NCS Programme.
Wave Leaders will be expected to attend training events (2 x Days) prior to the programme starting.
- Region/likely locations for base: Somerset.
- Phase 1 on Exmoor; Phase 2 in Trull; Phase 3 locations across the county.
- Salary bracket: £1750-£1950 per programme.
DBS requirement: Appointment subject to a clear enhanced DBS check and satisfactory references.
NCS Wave Leader - Person Specification
An ability to manage youth work programmes, leading a team of staff and engage with young people from a range of backgrounds
A minimum of 5 years experience of leading youth work programmes, including residential work.
Experience of managing group behaviour
Experience of managing challenging incidents
Experience of managing staff
Experience of working with partner organisations
Ability to inspire young people
Ability to lead teams and to manage conflict / challenging situations.
Ability to lead groups
High communication skills
Youth Work qualification
Clean driving licence
Knowledge of setting and maintain appropriate boundaries with young people
Knowledge of the NCS programme
Health and Safety
Issues relevant to young people
Planning programmes with young people
Cooperation with a team
Willingness to learn and to train
Able to act as a positive role model to young people
Able to work independently
- Team Management
- Pastoral Care
- Youth Work
- Programme Delivery