At Dunster Castle we're looking for a Mill Assistant to help run our working watermill, which still produces flour today. If you'd like to have a job that's really unique and provide an amazing experience to all our visitors, then this is the role for you!
What you'll be doing
As Mill Assistant, you’ll be giving great customer service to our visitors whilst maintaining healthy stock levels of our mill-packed products including wholemeal flour, muesli and rolled oats. You’ll be able to carry out emergency procedures and safety checks, keep accurate production records and maintain high food hygiene standards. There will also be the machinery to maintain and repair as necessary in order to keep the wheels turning and the flour in production. You’ll work with the Mill Manager to look after and develop our team of around 15 volunteers who help us to keep the mill operational 363 days of the year.
You'll be mainly based at the mill leading the milling operation and there will be occasions when you'll need to be flexible with your hours; assisting with late night events and some weekend working is required. You'll be a key-holder for the watermill but not part of the overnight primary security and fire response.
With sales of mill products already in excess of £50k, you’ll be working proactively with the Mill and Retail Managers to maximise our opportunities. Your ability to see potential improvements in all aspects of mill operations will be a great asset to the team.
With new opportunities to improve the visitor experience at the watermill on the horizon, you’ll play an important role as part of the team who make change happen. There’s a lot to do but great satisfaction is to be gained (and fun to be had) along the way!
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role you'll need to have;
- A basic knowledge of engineering principles and an interest in the history of milling
- Good team leadership, including coaching and motivational skills
- Good people and communication skills, including public presentations
- Previous experience of dealing with a diverse workload and working to time constraints
- An eye for detail
- Basic practical and trade skills
- The ability to use own initiative as well as work as part of a team
- A good level of physical fitness, as the role includes manual handling
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
- Team Leadership
- Visitor Experience