The Data Team is responsible for the integrity, availability and confidentiality of the organisation’s data assets and the platforms that host them. As an integral part of the team, the Operations Engineer plays a pivotal role in building and supporting a platform that enables efficient development.
With an in-depth understanding of database development and release processes, the Operations Engineer is responsible for day-to-day maintenance and administration of any automated build and release processes.
Comfortable writing code, utilising automation tools and leveraging scripting languages, the Operations Engineer builds and maintains frameworks that allow the automation of operational tasks.
Working as part of a combined operations team, from a backlog prioritised by internal stakeholders, the Operations Engineer builds & delivers solutions that are testable, robust and repeatable.
Passionate about continuous improvement, the operations engineer has the freedom to experiment and is expected to propose process improvements and enhancements to data platforms.
Adhering-to and participating-in the evolution of documented standards and processes, the Operations Engineer works closely with other colleagues to provision services that surpass expectations.
- Creating and maintaining appropriate levels of design and process documentation
- Managing and enhancing data platform CI & data processing pipelines
- Responsible for the consistency & integrity of the data which underpins all products and services
- Solution build, deployment and data process monitoring and reporting
- System integration documentation and configuration
- Maintaining change management & configuration management frameworks
Experience, Skills and Qualifications
-Demonstrable experience automating the deployment of database changes to large mission critical databases
- Strong experience in automation and scripting (PowerShell, Chef, Puppet SaltStack, RunDecketc.)
- Experience working with a data-centric continuous integration pipeline
- Good knowledge of CI tooling (TFS, Jenkins, Octopus)
- Solid understanding of distributed source control solutions
- Active interest in NoSQL and Big Data technologies
- Extensive experience working in a collaborative engineering function
- Experience working with business intelligence workloads and a good grounding in the fundamentals of data warehousing
- Proficient writing T-SQL code and querying complex datasets
- Hands on experience of working with Azure (emphasis on data and analyticsPaaS)
- Previous experience working in a DevOps role preferred but not essential
- Advocate of DevOps; understands the importance of building robust operational frameworks
- Naturally curious and eager to learn
- Willing to take responsibility for solving a problem
- Passionate about continuously improving processes and systems
- Enthusiastic about learning and supporting different database technologies
- Comfortable sharing ideas and suggesting improvements
- Happy to embrace agile working practices
- Logical thinker with tenacious attitude towards problem solving
Xpertise Recruitment acts an employment agency