CRU’s Steel team is seeking a talented and motivated individual to provide analytical coverage of the metallurgical coal markets.
You will be responsible for primary and secondary market research, working closely with product editors and other regional market experts. You will analyse market fundamentals, forecast and communicate your views in written form, demonstrating base insights, analysis, prices and forecasts on a robust and transparent set of methodologies. You will need to ensure that you can keep up to date with market trends and industry developments as well as validate and continually improve production and trade data.
You will have the opportunity to actively participate in the development and improvement of our analytical products, being the editor of both the quarterly Metallurgical Coal Market Outlook and annual Long-term Metallurgical Coal Market Outlook. You will also be expected to make contributions to the monthly Steelmaking Raw Materials Monitor and Bulk Ferroalloys Monitor. You will produce monthly price and sector updates as well as carrying out research of other bulk raw materials markets, such as iron ore and metallurgical coke.
You will also undertake significant external client engagement, developing and maintaining relationships with a wide range of market participants ensuring you provide market-leading customer intimacy. Working closely with the sales and marketing teams, you will help to maximise sales of our analytical products, both in terms of renewals and new business.
For the right person, this role will provide you the opportunity to develop an in-depth understanding of the metallurgical coal markets well as contributing to CRU’s market-leading publications as part of a well-established team.
- Undergraduate degree in Economics, Natural Sciences (Mining and/or Geology) or in a similar field with a minimum grade of 2:1
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Demonstrable experience in commodities analysis with experience in coal research
- Proven analytical skills with the ability to critically analyse data and identify trends and key drivers
- Ability to construct a compelling narrative and have the confidence to express and defend position clearly
- Strong quantitative background and a creative thinker based on a robust approach to data/modelling
- Demonstrable experience in statistical and data analysis
- Excellent IT skills including the use of MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Goal-oriented, with a high level of energy and enthusiasm; able to operate efficiently, effectively and professionally within a fast paced, dynamic and results driven business environment
- A strong commercial awareness and an analytical mind-set with the ability to quickly understand the intricacies and complexities of the economics and data that drive CRU’s business and strategy
- Experience of mentoring or supervising junior team members
Expected Grade - PC
Closing date for application - 21 March 2018
- Analytical Skills
- Commodity Markets