Do you want to be part of a community and grow a career? At Southern Co-op we work hard because we want to do well and the more successful we are the more we can give back to our members and communities – that’s the beauty of a co-operative.
We have an exciting opportunity for an accomplished Senior Merchandiser or Merchandise Manager to join our team. As a Merchandiser Manager you’ll lead, support and coach a team of Merchandise Specialists.
You’ll own, define and deliver the Product Assortment and Range Strategy & Trade Plan in order to meet customer needs and drive positive LFL sales and profitability for the food retail business.
- Work closely and collaboratively with the Price Strategy Manager, Retail Development Manager and Space & Range Planning Manager to ensure that the Range Strategy and Trade Plan is developed and delivered in a timely manner
- Lead, manage, coach and develop the Lead Merchandise Specialists and their teams to enable the range strategy and trade plan to be delivered effectively and on time
- Accountable for the creation of and the delivery of the ranging and merchandising decision framework of the assigned product ranges
- Oversee creation of analysis for individual range events to optimise the product assortment in order to meet customer needs and maximise sales and profitability
- Oversee and define the parameters for the creation of Store Specific Planograms
- Define and create the system for archival of historic and relevant information to assist in analysis of historic events and the forecasting of future ones
- Initiate and assist in the creation of clearance strategies for range reviews to effectively sell through stocks of delisted products whilst maximising gross margin
- Oversee and present as required the day to day overview of the trading performance of the merchandise element of the food retail business
- Liaise with existing suppliers and, where appropriate, actively seek to establish new relationships with suppliers who deliver into the central FRTS depots, and potential new Southern Co-op national suppliers
- Own the overarching allocation strategies (sales plan by product) and the corresponding exit strategies for seasonal events that meet the sales and gross margin targets as outlined by the Trade Plan
- Ensure complete and accurate understanding of the FRTS BSA (Federal Retail Trading Services, Buying Services Agreement) ensuring that all compliance measures as dictated are adhered to at all times.
- Oversee that all incidents assigned by the Commercial Support Team are responded to and resolved in line with agreed timelines and that all appropriate actions are taken to review trends and remedial actions are taken where appropriate
- Deputise for the Head of Trading and Format as required on all aspects of the product assortment across the food retail business, and at the FRTS Working Group
Key Experience, Skills and Knowledge:
- Experience of managing a team in a Merchandising, Buying or Operational Management role, preferably in convenience food retailing
- Experience in a Merchandising or Buying role
- Sound commercial knowledge and market awareness
- Highly numerate with strong attention to detail
- Intermediate Excel skills, able to manipulate and report on high volumes of data using lookup and pivot table functionality. With the ability to quickly interpret and pick out key points and themes
- A good working knowledge of merchandising systems (JDA or equivalents)
- Effective decision making skills and the ability to quickly identify/ diagnose problems, recommend and implement solutions
- Structured approach with good planning, organisational and prioritisation skills which are utilised effectively in order to meet deadlines
- Ability to think strategically and contribute to wider business planning and development
- Ability to work under pressure
- Able to communicate at all levels (Customer Service Assistant to CEO) and work collaboratively with others
- Drive to constantly learn, develop and improve
If you’re passionate about merchandising, and have a background in a fast-paced environment then we would love to hear from you. In return, we will offer a competitive salary and benefits package, as well as the opportunity to develop your skills and grow your career.