Are you an experienced Medical Secretary?
Colchester Hospital would love to hear from you!
NHS Professionals run the temporary work placements at Colchester Hospital and we are looking for medical secretaries for immediate placements.
Location: Colchester Hospital
Role: Band 3 Medical Secretary
Hours: Full Time and Part Time considered
Job Type: Temporary 2 -6 months ( possible extensions).
Job Summary : Team Secretary
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- High quality audio typing of patient letters and notes as dictated by the team using both Bighand and audio tapes as required.
- Call patients to book appointments, book appointments on PAS and send out confirmation appointment letters and information leaflets to all patients. Deal with patient queries. Rearranging outpatient appointments where necessary
- Use electronic PAS system to register new patients, record the transfer of all patients’ records on the Case Note Tracking System, occasionally deal with general queries and update system etc
Ensuring that the Consultant or appropriate member of the Team checks all investigations and test results and ensuring that known abnormal or urgent results are brought to the immediate attention of the Consultant or Team member.
To ensure all referrals are distributed to the appropriate clinician without delay. This includes Choose and Book referrals and paper referrals received direct from GP or other professional bodies.
- To understand and be proactive in managing RTT (Referral to Treatment) pathways and highlight any potential issues to prevent breaches. This includes ensuring that follow up appointments following diagnostics are dealt with immediately to avoid any unnecessary delays within the patient pathway to meet national targets.
- Ensure outpatient appointments are booked /patients are added to waiting lists in a timely and efficient manner, according to priority and current Access rules.
Dealing with patient notes including filing signed pathology, reports, clinical letters and results in medical records, ensure notes are up to date for outpatient clinics.
To assist with the administration of MDT meetings as is deemed appropriate within the department.
- Prepare paperwork for upcoming clinics for consultants and liaise with departments.
- Open mail and distribute to the appropriate member of the team.
To provide cover for sickness/annual leave of other members of secretarial and booking team.
- Forward requests for clinic or letter changes to Choose and book manager// PAS team for their action
Skills Essential Desirable
Education and Qualifications Good command of English.
Knowledge of Medical Terminology and Medical Secretarial practices.
Word processing to RSA II or equivalent.
ECDL (or willingness to undertake ECDL).
Excellent administrative skills
Excellent communication skills, and ability to communicate clearly, precisely and emphatically when providing and receiving sensitive information.
Skills/abilities Maintain responsibility for own workplace Health and Safety and identify areas of concern.
Show willingness to attend meetings, help with research and audits as requested.
Knowledge At least 2 years previous experience as secretary or administrator.
Knowledge of Hospital PAS system. Bighand experience
Understand requirements for strict confidentiality.
Personal skills Must maintain equilibrium in times of stress when dealing with anxious persons either by telephone, letter or in person.
Ability to prioritise workload and work on own initiative.
Ability to work as part of a team.
What perks are we offering in return?
1st choice of over 4,200 placements - your dedicated consultant can book your placements today.
Work this week, get paid next - Get paid the following Friday when you release your time-sheets by 23:59 on Wednesday.
Get paid to take holiday. - Holiday is accrued during every shift you work.
Statutory maternity/paternity (subject to qualifying criteria)
Access to our very own pension scheme called 'NHSP Stakeholder pension' for eligible members
Free training and development opportunities
...and we are part of the NHS family!
We value your skills and experience and can provide you with a fantastic opportunity to work within the NHS and deliver a great service
- Administrative Duties
- Audio Typing
- Diary Management
- Minute Taking
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job