Are you an experienced Medical Secretary?
Colchester Hospital would love to hear from you!
NHS Professionals run the temporary work placements at Colchester Hospital and we are looking for medical secretaries for immediate placements.
Location: Colchester Hospital
Role: Band 3 & 4- Medical Secretary
Hours: Part Time
Job Type: Temporary 2 months ( possible extensions).
- Audio typing of outpatient clinic letters using the digital dictation system and reports using Microsoft Word within agreed time-scale. In the absence of the Consultant, ensuring these letters are sent out, to reach the correct destination within agreed standard. Typing of medical reports.
- Opening and processing incoming mail, ensuring that all results are passed to the Consultant or Nurse Specialist with date of next clinic appointment or copy of last clinic letter as appropriate. Noting if results are urgent and need immediate escalation.
- Undertaking all necessary administration following receipt of results and following procedure for booking follow up appointments if needed.
- Ensuring that all filing, i.e. clinic letters, pathology and X-ray reports is kept up to date, if necessary requesting notes from the Health Record Library. Ensuring that health records are booked in and out and returned to Health Records as soon as possible, using case note tracking on the Medway system as per protocol.
- Dealing with incoming telephone calls from patients/relatives/GP surgeries/other departments within the Hospital/outside organisations, independently dealing with or passing on queries/messages to the Consultant and other staff.
- Liaise with patients to book all day case procedures and outpatient appointments, entering patient onto computerised waiting list, producing and sending TCI letter together with the appropriate information leaflets. Maintain waiting list and ensure full utilisation of clinics.
- Keeping Consultants' diaries, including arranging appointments with representatives from Pharmaceutical companies and cancelling meetings if Consultant is on leave.
- Notifying appropriate staff of Consultant’s Annual Leave and Study Leave and ensuring that all clinical commitments are cancelled as necessary within policy.
- Systems: Outlook Calendar, Microsoft package, NHS systems if possible, Big Hand
What perks are we offering in return?
1st choice of over 4,200 placements - your dedicated consultant can book your placements today.
Work this week, get paid next - Get paid the following Friday when you release your time-sheets by 23:59 on Wednesday.
Get paid to take holiday. - Holiday is accrued during every shift you work.
Statutory maternity/paternity (subject to qualifying criteria)
Access to our very own pension scheme called 'NHSP Stakeholder pension' for eligible members
Free training and development opportunities
...and we are part of the NHS family!
We value your skills and experience and can provide you with a fantastic opportunity to work within the NHS and deliver a great service.
- Administrative Duties
- Audio Typing
- Diary Management
- Minute Taking