This position is to supports our key strategic objectives around fundraising, policy and advocacy and campaigning while building our brand and profile.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Develop and maintain good relations and networks with relevant national, regional and international media outlets and journalists including press, broadcast, and digital media
- Develop and implement innovative media and communications strategies to support our work, and successfully secure coverage in a range of media outlets
- Effectively monitor the external environment to identify media opportunities and keep colleagues informed about the news and political agenda, producing daily media monitoring briefings for internal stakeholders
- Work closely with the Head of Communications and Campaigns and the Policy and Advocacy team to develop key influencing messages and promote campaigning objectives
- Proactively pitch media stories about our activities to target media and ensure that journalists are fully briefed on issues affecting the charity’s clients, through written briefings, telephone contact and face-to-face meetings, carefully managing the charity’s reputation
- Develop an excellent up to date knowledge of our work and advocacy objectives, and develop key messages to ensure consistent communication of our positions to external audiences
- Ensure an effective and speedy response to all media enquiries, including participating in an out-of-hours and emergency contact system, using your expert judgment to independently determine a suitable response
- Liaise closely with staff across the organisation to identify issues of media interest and keep staff abreast of the organisation’s media activities
- Draft news releases, articles, statements, and letters for the media, external distribution and online
- Work with colleagues in the communications team to identify and deliver creative multimedia content for use across web, digital and social media platforms
- Develop and maintain relationships with media colleagues in peer organisations and lead our engagement in joint communications initiatives
- Brief and prepare key staff, including the Chief Executive, for media interviews, organising media training where appropriate
- Manage budgets and suppliers for externally commissioned media work e.g. polling
- Support the delivery of the organisation’s social media strategy, contributing social media content as appropriate and optimising the use of social media channels
- Build relationships internally to identify human stories that meet the needs of various departments and which can be used in varied communications contexts, building a bank of case studies that can be used in media work and across our various channels and platforms
- Support clients and members of our networks to undertake media interviews and work with the Head of Communications and Campaigns to manage risk to service users who take part in media activity
- Contribute to the development of the organisational Communications strategy and develop corporate media strategy
- Contribute to the development of appropriate external communications standards and practices and monitor their implementation
- Support the organisation’s crisis management protocol and play a key role in maintaining the charity’s reputation including risk management.
- Manage communications interns and volunteers
- The post involves occasionally working unsocial hours in the evenings and at weekends, and participation in an out of hours media rota
- A powerful communicator in both oral and written communications. Writes in an accurate, succinct and structured way, able to communicate complex issues clearly to non-specialist audiences across a range of channels
- Demonstrable experience of working with the media, either as a press officer or journalist in a busy environment.
- Experience of devising and implementing media strategies for discrete projects and to deliver campaigns objectives
- Sound experience of working across a range of media, including press, broadcast and digital and social media, with good contacts
- A good news sense and excellent knowledge of the external environment and the media landscape
- A confident editor of work for external distribution, able to provide feedback to a range of colleagues
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship building skills, including working with and advising senior staff
- A demonstrable understanding of broadcast, print, digital and social media and how they operate.
- Experience of developing multimedia content for a range of audiences
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines, excellent time management skills
- Experience of managing budgets and project management
- Experience of supporting vulnerable people to take part in media work.
- Good crisis management skills and understanding of reputation management
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job