Mechanical Project Engineers
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus, Oxfordshire
£33,000 - £39,500 (Engineer), £39,500 - £50,000 (Senior Engineer) - dependent upon qualifications and experience and inclusive of annual allowance
Full Time and Part Time positions available
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is a place where curiosity-driven, blue-skies thinking meets practical, application-led science and engineering. One of Europe’s largest research organisations, we’re trusted to support, enable and undertake cutting edge projects in an amazing diversity of fields.
About The Role
There are currently several opportunities for Mechanical Project Engineers to join the ISIS Design Division on either a full time or part time basis, working closely with fellow engineers and scientists; specifying, designing, procuring and developing bespoke mechanical and electrical equipment and complex systems for the facility.
Our Project Engineers are responsible for delivering engineering solutions for scientific requirements within a project environment, and full lifecycle engineering from concept to commissioning of one off components and larger, complex systems.
Further responsibilities will include:
- project scheduling, budgeting, planning and reporting
- production of mechanical designs and drawings using 2D and 3D CAD, either as an individual, or by managing the work of others
- presentation of designs for peer and stakeholder review
- managing both internal staff and external contract design and detailing effort
- coordinating the activities of various technical disciplines
- managing tendering, procurement and delivery of approved designs.
You will be appointed at either Band D (Engineer) or Band E (Senior Engineer) of STFC’s staffing hierarchy, depending on the strength of your skills, experience and qualifications.
You will have a combination of formal engineering qualifications and relevant experience.
You will have proven experience in the design and engineering procurement environment with a focus on the appliance of functional mechanical engineering solutions to real world problems, along with an understanding of Project Management techniques and best practices.
You should also demonstrate:
- a background in mechanical engineering for high technology organisations or national scientific laboratories
- a track record of coordinating a number of different technical disciplines across a broad range of tasks to achieve overall project goals
experience in theproduction of mechanical designs and detailed drawings using 2D and 3D CAD, either as an individual, or by managing the work of others
- experience in producing one off practical engineering solutions to meet common mechanical and scientific specifications
- experience of precision and general manufacturing techniques and supply chains.
Experience of people management and strategic planning is desirable.
You should display excellent communication and interpersonal skills, a high level of drive, enthusiasm and focus on the achievement of goals, an organised approach to complex problems and a strong ability to think creatively, to seek and accept change and continuous improvement.
An exceptional pension scheme, 30 days leave allowance and flexible working are offered, as well as an onsite nursery, subsidised restaurant, gym and sports facilities. A relocation allowance may also be available where applicable.
Applicants are required to include a cover letter detailing your suitability for the role.
The closing date for applications is 11th March 2018, however applicants will be reviewed and interviewed on an ongoing basis.
Please note, when you click apply you will be directed through to our TopCareers.jobs website where you will be asked to complete the application process.
- Mechanical Engineering