Exciting and highly innovative multinational Medical Devices company headquartered in the United Kingdom, with operations and partners in the United States, Asia, Europe and Africa, seeks Junior Mechanical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers and Senior Mechanical Engineers.
The Mechanical Engineer posts will proactively support the engineering team through extensive design in SolidWorks, machining with a precision mill, use of a laser cutter and other workshop tools (for which training will be given).
The Engineers will, in conjunction with other members of the engineering team, design manufacture and assemble instrument prototypes, rigs, jigs and microfluidic cassettes for ongoing product development. In addition, the Engineers will support the work of scientists in the laboratories, to modify and maintain prototoypes and rigs in a laboratory environment.
The Engineers will work to requirement specifications and following more informal instructions.
All our work is carried out to the quality requirements of ISO13485 (Medical Design Directive), requiring the ability to write reports on work carried out, and to record design decisions.Key Roles & Responsibilities:
Performing a combination, but not necessarily all, of the following duties:
- Design using SolidWorks of jigs, fixtures, instrument rigs
- Manufacture, of cassettes, jigs and fixtures using workshop tools including laser cutters, precision CNC mills, 3D printers
- Manufacture of microfluidic devices using precision CNC mills.
- Liaise with external partners for the cost effective manufacture and timely delivery of components and solutions
- There will be the opportunity to learn about medical devices, particularly the requirements for sample preparation, DNA amplification and analysis, and how excellent engineering is an essential contribution to these processes
- Communicate efficiently and effectively with engineers, scientists and management and external partners, in the UK, across Europe and the world.
- Adhere to quality systems
The ideal candidates will possess a strong technical understanding of engineering design and build and an ability to work within a team to accomplish product development goals.Essential
- Degree or equivalent in a Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Experience with a 3D CAD system, preferably SolidWorks v2017
- Knowledge of design techniques for manufacture, assembly and maintenance
- Understanding of manufacturing processes including machining, laser cutting, injection moulding, laser welding
- Ability to report on activities and record decisions in a professional and timely manner both verbally and through formal, quality documentation
- Good sense of humour, a team player and an ability to adapt to a dynamic environment as the company transitions from R&D to production and commercialisation
- Be eligible to work full time in the UK without restriction
- Understanding of materials for microfluidics.
- Experience of calculations software, eg Mathcad
- Experience of 2D CAD software, ideally AutoCAD
- Design of instruments and consumables for the Life Sciences.
- Experience in developing design history files to ISO standards including ISO9001 and IS013485 for CEIVD and FDA requirements, all regulatory requirements that pertain to product development and in vitro device manufacturing (e.g. CE IVD mark, FDA, etc.).
- Ability to source suitable components and manufacturers and manage those outsourcing projects.
- An understanding of electronics and software
- Experience with microfluidics, flow simulation and thermal simulation.
- Understanding of functional dimensioning, tolerances and surface characteristics necessary for microfluidics.
- Practical engineering workshop skills.