At Letchworth we design and manufacture multi-function rugged LCD displays for use on rotary and fixed-wing aircraft and ground combat vehicles. Our HD displays are designed for use with the industry's most popular sensors. Fully qualified to established environmental standards, the displays can be used in standalone mode, where multiple video input capability can be used to present a number of configurable operator views, or as part of a Curtiss-Wright video management system (VMS) alongside video distribution switches and recorders.
We are looking for a Mechanical Design Engineer to drive concept development and implementation of the mechanical and thermal aspects of our products and customer-led design projects. This is a crucial role to the business as we will look to you as our Mechanical Design expert at the site. You will have a natural desire in helping us to push the boundaries of the materials, techniques and the technology involved in getting our bespoke and innovative products out the door to our customer.
You will have proved yourself in a similar role previously and be able to provide examples of the challenges you faced and your ability to bring people on side. Above all else you will have the technical knowledge required to excel in this role to include mechanical design, materials science, environmental testing, reliability and failure analysis.
- Owns the mechanical design aspects of projects from conceptualization to implementation, leading the development of these ideas.
- A positive approach to innovation to ensure the latest techniques and materials are employed when designing and developing new products for a complex and rugged environment.
- Designing complex rugged computers and chassis systems including PWB design details and microstructure, adhesives and thermal interface materials, thermal and structural design considerations, and mechanical assembly drawings.
- Thermal modeling of designs to provide theoretical predictions that system contents will be kept within operational parameters. Conductive and air cooling (e.g., forced air-flow through structure).
- Stress analysis of designs, primarily to be implemented in metals but with experience (or aptitude to learn) use of plastics for possible future designs.
- Design and conduct experiments, collect data and interpret results, conduct analysis and write analysis and test reports. Capability to draw conclusions and reconcile differences between predicted and actual results.
- Provide technical support to failure investigations. May lead failure investigation teams. Interpreting results and draw appropriate conclusions, documenting and presenting findings to other staff.
- Provide technical support and feasibility studies for bid responses.
- Support R&D Engineering teams in regular design reviews.
- Stay current with new trends in materials used for rugged PWB environments.
- Experience with the following tools: SolidWorks, FloTHERM and Vibration Analysis
- Good level of education, focus on Mechanical Engineering or similar
- Experience in an aerospace and land mobile environment is an asset
- Experience with heat transfer problem solving (conduction and convection), vibration dynamics, and materials science.
- Experience with MIL-STD's or DO160 and other Aerospace specifications is an asset.
- Experience with solder joint reliability (SJR) is an asset.
- A working knowledge of FEA techniques is an asset
- Familiar with recognized CAD design tools for mechanical engineering and computational fluid dynamics
- Must be able to obtain SC Clearance
This position may require exposure to information which is subject to export control regulations such as the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must meet eligibility Requirements of the ITAR and of the UK/EU through completion of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) application. In the event information provided on the BPSS application reveals ineligibility to access US export controlled information, any offer of employment may be withdrawn.
Curtiss-Wright values diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you require accommodation due to a disability at any time during the recruitment and/or assessment.