A vacancy for a Materials Engineer has arisen within Airbus Defence & Space to work on space flight hardware in Stevenage, within the Materials Department.
You will contribute to providing technical solutions to materials related issues which arise during the design, manufacture and test of flight hardware and the team mission of assuring correct materials qualification for mission specific requirements.
Your Materials Engineering knowledge (properties and applications of a wide range of metallic and non-metallic materials for use in a space environment -radiation, thermal, vacuum) will be routinely sought by both Design and Manufacturing teams, as will the identification of new materials and processes for future applications.
Working within a team of specialists or individually, you will interface with people at all levels - Shop Floor, Project Teams, through to Management and Customers.
The successful candidate will be subject to UK National Security Clearance in order to undertake related work in accordance with business needs. Your main tasks and responsibilities will include:
* Providing Materials and Processes (M&P) support to Project
* Participate in qualification of materials - write qualification and test plans, oversee testing, analysis of data, write test reports
* Support to R&D activities
* Compile and maintain Parts Materials and Processes (PMP) documents
* Participate in Materials and Process Review Boards (MPCB), In-house and at suppliers
* Identify / justify replacement materials due to obsolescence, attending CTM
* Assists in monitoring technical performance of subcontractors and suppliers
* Participate in reviews at all stages of product design, development and manufacture
We are looking for candidates with the following skills and experience:
* Material Science or related Science/Physics Degree
* Experience within the Space or Aerospace industry preferable
* Customer and results orientated work experience desirable, but not essential
* Working knowledge of Parts Materials and Processes (PMP) requirements - ECSS.Q.70
* Able to analyse and interpret data, draw conclusions and make recommendations
* Facilitation skills for leading problem solving and risk analysis
* Good team working, communications and interpersonal skills
* Fluent in written and spoken English
Airbus is committed to achieving workforce diversity and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome all applications irrespective of social and cultural background, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation or religious belief.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job