The UK`s National Physical Laboratory sits at the intersection between scientific discovery and real world application as one of the world’s top three National Measurement Institutes. Every employee at NPL is central to achieving our aim of continuing to innovate and deliver scientific excellence. Our mission is to provide the measurement capability that underpins the UK’s prosperity and quality of life.
Join the National Physical Laboratory (NPL) at an exciting time of growth where you will have a great opportunity to maximise Impact from science. We are bold and visionary and we believe anything is possible at NPL.
NPL is developing an Advanced Materials Assurance Centre (AdMAC) to underpin and develop an increased knowledge base for the use and assurance of advanced materials like polymer composites. A database and user interface for test results linked to regulations, codes and standards is required to provide reliable data, and therefore assurance, from tests delivered by material scientists within the group. Later, the project will be expanded to include external collaborator data and interactions with the database. The successful candidate will design and develop this system and oversee the smooth running of it.
• Liaise with users and the project team to determine user requirements and functional specifications; document the specification and produce a design specification to provide the basis of application development.
• Use the design specification to provide required functionality either through bespoke development and/or customisation of externally provided solutions or by implementing standard functionality that is currently not used, thereby meeting user requirements.
• Work with the project team to test the system and confirm performance of programmes and delivery of the specification
• Analyse and correct problems associated with bespoke developments or customisations identified through unit testing and user acceptance testing so that requirements and specification are achieved.
• Work with team members, internal IT department, users and external suppliers to resolve problems in externally provided applications.
• Resolve user problems or ensure that they are defined and passed to system supplier for resolution, if applicable, such that the performance of the system is delivered.
• Ensure systems are well documented in order to meet quality requirements and ensure suitability for further development by any suitably trained database engineers.
• Strong experience developing database systems, preferably dealing with heterogeneous data types
• Familiarity with optimised data storage of many different data types
• Experience in designing user interfaces and tools for efficient data input
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Knowledge of materials science, particularly polymer composites desirable
• Ability to work in a team in which experts in different areas work together.
Please note that this role is advertised across 2 zones and salaries on offer will be experience dependant.
Based in a unique, purpose-built research environment, we are located in beautiful surroundings on the edge of Bushy Park, south-west London with a host of onsite facilities. These include a subsidised crèche, restaurant and free parking.
NPL Management Limited is committed to supporting its people to develop both personally and professionally and is committed to equal opportunities. NPL Management Limited is a Stonewall Diversity Champion and an Institute of Physics Project Juno Supporter.