The Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) a not-for-profit organisation responsible for the inspection of schools in membership of the Associations that make up the Independent Schools Council. We provide objective inspections to safeguard the quality and effectiveness of the education, care and welfare of children in schools.
Based in Barbican, the organisation has approx. 35 employees, and contracts a pool of over 1000 carefully selected and trained inspectors to provide its services across the UK.
Job purpose and key responsibilities
To manage, develop, design and implement the marketing and communications activities for the Independent Schools Inspectorate (ISI) and ISIC (ISI’s subsidiary consultancy and training business).
This role is the only dedicated internal marketing and communications resource for the organisation, as such it needs to determine both what is required as well and create and deliver it/ensure it is delivered. It will be highly varied and combine the tactical and hands on marketing requirements of writing, editing and commissioning of collateral with the opportunity to define and drive the marketing strategy for the organisation. There will be a combination regular communications activities, ad hoc developments and larger projects and initiatives.
The role will be responsible for developing all aspects of digital marketing (growing the web presence and use of digital platforms) for the organisation as well as supporting the growing business development function both in the UK and internationally. Some experience in website optimisation, email marketing campaigns, content marketing as well as the use of analytics would be advantageous. Use of internal creative tools, such as Adobe Creative, would also be necessary. The role will also need to support events, conferences (both internal and external) and any speaking engagements undertaken.
The role will systemise, standardise and manage marketing practices and activities as well as control the marketing budget and related expenditure. The role will contribute to the development of longer-term marketing and business development strategies to support the overall ISI business strategy. In particular, ensuring ISI makes effective use of technology, media and on-line communications will be essential.
This is a challenging role in a not for profit organisation which has a need to communicate effectively to a wide range of stakeholders e.g. freelance inspectors, the DfE, parents, Independent Schools, representative Associations for Independent Schools, Ofsted and the general public. There is also intermittent press interest in ISI and managing press and PR will fall under this role with oversight from the CEO.
Candidates need to demonstrate broad experience and success in marketing, skill and accuracy in writing, commissioning both print and electronic media and be highly flexible. It will be a highly autonomous role working across the whole organisation. It will be expected to contribute to organisation’s planning and strategy to enhance both internal communications as well as external engagement.
Expected outcomes and impact
- Establish a professional, organisation-wide marketing and communications function in ISI with appropriate supporting plans and processes.
- Ensure all newsletters, electronic communications, marketing collateral, websites, digital channels are developed to time and quality and following ISI brand guidelines.
- Generate significantly increased awareness of ISI and its services through enhanced communications, proactive marketing, strong web and social media presence, and well planned and positioned PR.
- Develop and share detailed knowledge of ISI’s markets and their developments, trends and competitors. ISI works in the UK and internationally.
- Contribute proactively to ISI success and mission.
- Due to the nature of the post, the holder would be expected to have a flexible approach to working hours and a commitment to getting the job done.
- A knowledge or experience of the school’s market or the wider education market in the UK would be useful but is not essential.
- ISI works in a regulated environment and as such this post requires an enhanced DBS clearance as well as other checks on suitability to work in an environment where access to confidential data about children and schools will be available.
- The role will require a highly flexible, innovative, self-directed and motivated approach as it will be the sole full time marketing resource in a small organisation.
If you would like to apply for this position, please provide a full and complete CV together with a covering letter outlining your suitability for the role, your current role and salary.
- Internal Communications
- Internal Marketing
- Marketing Strategy