The Union of Kingston Students is looking for an enthusiastic and committed individual to lead our Marketing and Communications department and support the CEO as part of the Senior Management Team. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has experience of delivering effective marketing and communications engagement activity in other unions and would like to bring this experience to a new setting. The post holder will have the opportunity to take a fresh look at our services and implement changes that will strengthen the support we offer to our elected representatives and increase engagement with our diverse student body.
As a university with a diverse student population we particularly welcome applications from BAME candidates as they are under-represented within the Union at this level.
Main Purpose Of Job
- To be responsible for all aspects of the marketing and communication of the activities, functions and services of Union of Kingston Students
- Oversee all activity that supports income generation from sponsorship, 3rd party advertising, merchandising and sales of NUS Extra
- To ensure there is a culture of continuous improvement and the necessary processes to ensure that marketing and communication activity meets the needs of students, officers and staff
Main Duties and Responsibilities
As part of the Senior Management Team create and deliver the Union’s Strategic plan.
Align all Marketing activity with the Union’s Strategic Goals.
Take responsibility for the financial performance of the Marketing and Communications
Monitor and measure performance against budgetary targets, strategic and business planning
objectives and Key Performance Indicators.
To effectively manage the Marketing and Communications team.
To develop and implement the Marketing and Communication strategy for the Union.
To develop and maintain effective income generation methods.
To develop and maintain effective professional relationships with business and other organisations
that wish to access the student market maintaining contracts and agreements as required.
To support the Senior Management Team in the development of both new and existing services by
the provision of market research information and analysis
Marketing and Communications
- To have overall responsibility for the marketing and promotional activities of the Union, to include advertising, sponsorship, research, communications, publicity and promotions
- Production of Union marketing, communications and research plans
- Regular planning meetings with all services to ensure that marketing and promotions activity is effective and evaluated
- Overall responsibility for the effective operation of the Union’s brand, website, social media and design
- Generation and vetting of Union press releases
- To be responsible for the commissioning or conduct of market research on behalf of the Union
- To be responsible for the development of the corporate image and identity for the Students' Union and individual brands within the Union ensuring that all communication and marketing activity supports the brand and conforms to brand guidelines
- To develop, deliver and monitor the effectiveness of business plans for marketing and communications
- To implement and monitor a communications plan for the Union, in line with the Union's strategy
- To identify new advertising, fundraising and sponsorship income streams for the Union, and maximise income from existing revenue-generating activities
- To adopt a pro-active approach to public relations to raise the profile and awareness of the Union
- To support the production of the annual impact report and its distribution
- To build an effective working relationship with Kingston University’s marketing and communications department
To ensure the ongoing development and maintenance of the Union’s website, email, social media and e-commerce in general
Responsible for planning, development and delivery of the Union’s social media presence.
Provide guidance to all officers and staff on the best practice use of all media platforms available
Manage the development of direct reports and any relevant student staff
Hold regular team meetings that embrace feedback and sharing of ideas
Ensure all staff have regular one to ones and performance reviews
Undertake regular staff training and evaluation feedback sessions
- When needed, help support and coach Elected Officers in their duties relating to marketing, communications and social media
To actively seek advertising and sponsorship income for the Union and manage advertising and sponsorship relationships with any agencies or organisations that bring marketing/ advertising income to the Union
To project manage the sale of NUS Extra cards and supervise student staff who assist with this
Develop the Union Merchandise offer
CIM Diploma, Graduate calibre, ideally in a Marketing discipline
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job