The role is to assist with the day to day operations on the Prince of Wales Pier, Falmouth and to be responsible for the strict observance of rules, regulations, undertakings and Byelaws.
The duties include responsibility for navigation lights, directing craft to berths, reporting necessary repairs, checking of safety equipment (including Fish Strand Quay) and maintaining the general cleanliness of the Pier and landing steps, together with such other reasonable duties as may be required from time to time in connection with the duties of the post. To act as a focal point for members of the public and to be able to give them any relevant information required.
* Advising the public on all aspects of Pier information. Enforcing Pier Byelaws and regulations. Directing tourists to the various boats and landing stages together with giving assistance to the general public. Liaising with the emergency services directly as required particularly with the Police, Ambulance and Coastguard.
* Maintain a daily Log Book indicating weather conditions and any important information relating to the day to day running of the Prince of Wales Pier.
* To carry out the day to day running of the Prince of Wales Pier.
* To carry out basic repairs to the Pier as and when necessary to ensure the safety of users.
* To carry out basic lifting tasks and to be able to patrol the Pier for prolonged periods of time.
* Generally working outdoors, using basic hut facilities as provided by the Council.
* Cleaning landing steps and stages.
* Inspection of life-saving appliances and reporting any deficiencies.
* Ensure access to steps for boat owners and visitors.
* To carry out other duties from time to time as required by the Senior Maritime Assistant (Operations).
* The Ports and Harbours have an Environmental Management System to ISO 14001 standard and all staff will contribute to this
They have 2 PT positions to fill. The hours are alternate weekends and bank holidays to be shared between the two post holders.
There will be a training day on or around 23rd March (which will be paid) and the start date will be 31st March
You should be able to work alone. The majority of the work is outside on the Pier. An enforcement background would be useful.
You should match the following criteria:
* Displays empathy and patience when dealing with customers and deals appropriately with challenging behaviours including demonstrating good interpersonal and social skills in order to deal with the many and varied customers and stakeholders
* Ability to work on your own initiative whilst representing the broader interests of the Maritime Section of Cornwall Council
* There will be a need to enforce regulations, byelaws, conditions etc. on all stakeholders including members of the public, boat operators, mooring holders etc.
* Although no formal qualifications are required you will need the ability to work alone and to deal with people.
* Preference will normally be given to someone with maritime knowledge, although candidates with a service or police background will also be considered.
* A first aid qualification would be beneficial
Please send your most updated CV to Grant Wilson by clicking apply now.
Fusion People are committed to promoting equal opportunities to people regardless of age, gender, religion, belief, race, sexuality or disability. We operate as an employment agency and employment business.
You'll find a wide selection of vacancies on our website.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job