Our client is an Aerospace manufacturer based in Consett, County Durham with several sites across Europe. They manufacture large components for commercial aircraft and fabricated parts for small and light aircraft and business jets, using CNC machining and special treatment technology. The company has recently received large investment and is now enjoying substantial growth in turnover and has a bright future.
A senior level Manufacturing Engineer is required to manage a variety of engineering projects, to optimise capability and capacity of current and new manufacturing processes - Develop and introduce new technologies and manufacturing systems to support the business strategy - Ensure combined integration of manufacturing engineering, Health, Safety and Quality standards.
- Extensive broad-based manufacturing / process engineering experience
- Design and re-organisation of manufacturing layouts to improve flow and efficiency
- Capital project implementation and management of contractors
- Root cause problem solving and practical knowledge of mechanical and electrical engineering
- Experience of working in a lean operating environment, and as part of a high-performance team to establish best practice manufacturing engineering methods and processes
- Capable of reading and interpreting engineering drawings and specifications (Solidworks, Catia, Draftsight, AutoCAD)
- Highly developed analytical skills
- Effective project planning skills
- Experience in the Aerospace industry and understanding of AS 9100 standards would be advantageous
- Competence in the use of, Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Project) and other business management systems
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in relevant engineering discipline
- NEBOSH certified preferred
- Lean Six Sigma (LSS) certification to Green Belt standard would be advantageous – having already worked in an organisation focused on continuous improvement and implementing best practices
- Assess manufacturing layouts using lean thinking to increase flow and efficiency to meet safety, quality, cost and delivery of KPIs
- Implement and manage lean layout improvement projects
- Improve processes to reduce non-value-added activity while ensuring safety and quality
- Evaluate capacity requirements to support customer demand and develop plans to deliver equipment upgrades and introduce new processes
- Develop proposals for capital investment schemes based on technical and financial justification for turnkey projects
- Establish process capability measures and lead improvement projects to increase capability indices to 1.33 minimum
- Develop and support best practices including Failure Mode Effect Analysis (FMEA) studies, Value Stream Mapping (VSM), Statistical Process Control (SPC) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
- Have a pragmatic, hands-on approach to problem solving to drive root cause resolution of product/process failure, supporting 8D investigations and practical problem solving exercises
- Work with new and existing vendors to reduce cost on services, components and tooling
- Effectively work with 3rd party suppliers of engineering services at site
- In conjunction with the Section Leaders, ensure engineering standards are maintained and all activities are conducted in a safe, cost effective and timely manner.
- Support the development of the lean culture
- Liaise with other departments requiring advice and guidance on engineering and technical queries
This is an exciting opportunity to become a pivotal member of the manufacturing development team of this rapidly developing aerospace business.
Note to Recruitment Agencies – this project is under a managed service contract. Direct approaches to the client will not be accepted.
Bank or payment details should not be provided when applying for a job. reed.co.uk is not responsible for any external website content. All applications should be made via the 'Apply now' button.Report this job